iPhone to Juno DS88

Reaction score
Hi, I want to create drum machine beats with an app on my iPhone and send them to my Juno DS-88 to play through my monitors along with the DS-88 sounds. Is this possible? If so, can I do this with a lightning to midi usb cable or would it require a lightning to midi 5 pin?

Reaction score
I have an Apple Lightning to 3.5mm audio jack that I use to connect up my headphones, this will give you audio out.

A then cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug with whatever the Juno input connectors are at the other end of the cable will get you connected

Reaction score
Fallen, 5-pin MIDI jacks never carry anything but MIDI data, they never carry audio of any type. Although in theory USB can be used for both audio and MIDI, very few keyboards support that (the only Roland with that feature is Fantom). To get audio into the Juno DS, you'd bring the audio in via its stereo mini "EXT INPUT" jack. If your iPhone has a headphone jack, you can get your audio out of the iPhone that way. Otherwise, you'd need an adapater, e.g. what Biggles mentioned.

Reaction score
I successfully connected my iPhone to the Juno and the app I’m using is working. The problem is that the audio is coming through my phone and not through the piano. How do I get the audio to come through the piano.

Reaction score
I successfully connected my iPhone to the Juno and the app I’m using is working. The problem is that the audio is coming through my phone and not through the piano. How do I get the audio to come through the piano.
As posted above:

To get audio into the Juno DS, you'd bring the audio in via its stereo mini "EXT INPUT" jack. If your iPhone has a headphone jack, you can get your audio out of the iPhone that way. Otherwise, you'd need an adapater, e.g. what Biggles mentioned.

Reaction score
I have an Apple Lightning to 3.5mm audio jack that I use to connect up my headphones, this will give you audio out.

A then cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug with whatever the Juno input connectors are at the other end of the cable will get you connected
Okay what if I have a newer iPhone. All I have is the lighting to usb camera adapter connected from the Juno to my phone. Do I need a different type of adapter?

Reaction score
Although in theory USB can be used for both audio and MIDI, very few keyboards support that (the only Roland with that feature is Fantom).

Fantom-06/07/08, FP-E50, RD-88, FP30/60/90X, ...
Basically all of the new(ish) Rolands carry audio and midi over USB. The older models, like the DS en FA series, for example, of course, don't...

It's just that I've been spending some time on the Roland site lately now that I've bought a FP-E50. ;)
Sorry for the hijack !

Okay what if I have a newer iPhone. All I have is the lighting to usb camera adapter connected from the Juno to my phone. Do I need a different type of adapter?

I know there are Lightning splitters (1 lightning to 2 lightning ports, 1 lightning to 1 USB and audio mini-jack out ) from various brands but no idea if they work well.
Basically, you'd need something like the Apple camera adapter but with an extra 3.5 audio out port. Don't know if that exists but maybe it's possible to combine several cables/adapters, don't know.

Or perhaps a Bluetooth dongle ? Just plug it into your DS and pair it with the iPhone ? If it's just to play along, there wouldn't be any delay issues.
Something like this :
Tone:Link - Blackstar (blackstaramps.com)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You would need an adapter (or combination of attachable devices) that supplies a USB connection for your keyboard (connecting either to USB or 5-pin MIDI jacks on the keyboard) and an audio output connection. Using bluetooth may be viable as well, I'll get back to that...

Fantom-06/07/08, FP-E50, RD-88, FP30/60/90X, ...
Basically all of the new(ish) Rolands carry audio and midi over USB. The older models, like the DS en FA series, for example, of course, don't...
The DS does as well. But like all the Rolands that can do this, the audio portion only works when connected to a Mac or PC into which you can install Roland's custom drivers. This function is not available on iPad/iPhone, on either the older or newer Roland keyboards.

Or perhaps a Bluetooth dongle ? Just plug it into your DS and pair it with the iPhone ? If it's just to play along, there wouldn't be any delay issues.
Bluetooth could be helpful here. IF the audio being generated by the iPhone is NOT being generated in response to MIDI from the keyboard, then yes, latency ("delay issues") shouldn't be a factor. However if the app's audio is playing in response to MIDI input from the keyboard, then the latency would be unacceptable. However, one could use a CME WIDI device to send MIDI from the keyboard to the iPhone with probably an acceptable amount of latency, which would leave the lightning port free for attaching an audio-out jack.

Reaction score
The DS does as well. But like all the Rolands that can do this, the audio portion only works when connected to a Mac or PC into which you can install Roland's custom drivers. This function is not available on iPad/iPhone, on either the older or newer Roland keyboards.

Yes, quite. Didn 't think of that. You need drivers for the audio over USB to work. I believe Yamaha keyboards work the same way. However, I believe with Korg you do have audio over USB on iOS devices as well without the need for drivers. I have a Liano and I've mostly used it connected to my mac but I'm pretty sure USB audio worked on my iPad (and I believe the same was true for the Kross 2 88 I used to own)...

Anyway, this won't help TS. Back on topic...

Reaction score
Have you tried an iRig or, if budget allows, an iConnect interface? I use my iConnect to record piano (so sending signal to my iPhone) but it might work sending a signal the other way.

Other option is to create a beat on the day itself using the phrase pad section. You should be able to create and save beats this way.

Ask a Question