Jazz improv

Reaction score
Can anybody help me on what i'd have to think about when i improv with jazz? I know about blues but i was looking for some Jazz stuff to.

Cheers, Aidan

Reaction score
It's a big question and I don't think there's an easy answer, but I've found the following useful:

- Listen to jazz solos and decide who you like the sound of

- Take some lessons / buy a book in jazz harmony: it's going to help to have a good understanding of chords and the scales that relate to them as a way to build solos

- Evening classess to play with others, jam sessions for when you get more confident

The best thing to do is listen carefully to records and let your interests guide you. It's supposed to be enjoyable.

Reaction score
transcribe, transcribe, and transcribe. You got to learn the language before you can speak. Grow a extensive vocabulary so you can be literate at improv

Reaction score
Making the changes

If I understand you right, you ask about what´s the main different between blues and jazz impro. This is off course a big question but here are some quick opinions.

1. You use more different scales. In the blues you use mostly the blues scale and some variations of those. In jazz there are many more scales like the Lydian, mixolydian, holetone scale, altered scale, etc.

2. You often change scales when you change chords, and the the listener should often be able to "hear the chord" just from listening to the improviced line. This is often referred to as "making the changes".

3 You ad more different colored notes to the voicings.

4. The improviced lines are more often singe notes and are not so repetative as in the blues.

This is off course a very simplification of the subject, but it´s something to get you started. To understand this concepts and how they are used. Transcribe, transcribe and transcribe:)

Torry

Ask a Question