Just a dad clueless about music stuff

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am father whose kids 8, and 10 both practice piano constantly on an old Korg DP 80, and an old Kurtzweil SP2 respectively. I am looking for accessories for them; both keyboards were presents from family members gifted after they no longer wanted/needed them. So I kinda want to get as much action out of them as I can. So I am looking for advice as I seek music rests and foot pedals for both instruments. Appreciate any help the forum can offer. Google, Amazon, and eBay are not helping much.

Reaction score
Welcome, here are a couple of suggestions

A sustain pedal will hold the note(s) when pressed.

For a Music stand look on Amazon for one made by Hercules, they are very robust and will last for years

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The manual for the Korg DP-80 says to use a Korg PS-1 or DS-1 pedal, or the equivalent. Korg's website shows the PS-1 and PS-3 pedals as being currently available, as well as the DS-1H pedal.

The PS-1 and PS-3 look like they're interchangeable, so I guess the only differences between them are color and the shape of the plug (the SP-1 has a straight plug; the SP-3 has a right-angle plug). They are foot switches, and are used to switch the damper/sustain function on or off. Foot switches can be latching/non-momentary or non-latching/momentary, meaning you can either click them on or off so you don't have to keep depressing them (latching/non-momentary), or they are off if you are not depressing them and on if you are depressing them (non-latching/momentary).

The DS-1H looks more like a piano damper pedal, which some people prefer-- unless they want a foot switch that can be latched on. I'm not sure whether there are any differences between the DS-1 and the DS-1H, but the DS-1H supports half-dampering. I don't think the DP-80 has half-dampering capability, but I suppose the DS-1H pedal will still work with it; you could contact Korg Support for clarification on that.

The manual for the Kurzweil SP2 says to use a Kurzweil CC-1, FS-1, or KP-1 pedal (or the equivalent). Kurzweil's website shows the CC-1 and KFP-1 pedals as being currently available; the FS-1 has been discontinued. There are jacks for two pedals-- one for the CC-1, and the other for the FS-1/KP-1.

The KFP-1 and the discontinued FS-1 are similar in function to the Korg pedals described above.

The CC-1 is different-- it works like an expression pedal, meaning it can vary the volume, expression, or other "continuous" parameter from a minimum setting to a maximum setting.

Some people prefer to buy pedals and other accessories from the same company that made the keyboard, but you can sometimes save a little money by buying a third-party pedal. If you decide to do that, you might want to get pedals with polarity switches so you can change their polarities if necessary. You might want to talk with your two children to see if they have a strong preference between a latchable foot switch style or a piano pedal style. If they currently don't have any knowledge or experience about either type then they might not have a preference yet, but if you explain the differences and ask them to think about it then they might decide that they'd prefer one or the other.

Reaction score
My advice for what it's worth:

If your boys/girls stick with their piano, one day they may want to upgrade their equipment. With this in mind:

Music stand - get one similar to this:

tumblr_p5u7n5BJm61ual3guo1_400.jpg

You can get them anywhere. Guaranteed 100% future proof no matter what instrument they play. Would also make a good crab rake if they decide to pursue fishing over music.

Sustain pedal - I'd go this route:
you can sometimes save a little money by buying a third-party pedal. If you decide to do that, you might want to get pedals with polarity switches so you can change their polarities if necessary.

The polarity switch comes in handy should they change keyboard brands in the future.

Good luck with it!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hello @demandingdata
Welcome to the forums.
It always intrigues me about little kids learniny the keys . .
1. How do the little fingers stretch accross a whole octave?
and
2. How do their little legs reach the pedals?
Ray

Reaction score
Yeah but that one makes a pretty ordinary crab rake.

Col - what on earth are you doing to your sheet music? You're supposed to play it not use it as a cat box liner!

Ooops

Caught out, fair and square

I can be a bit messy hence why I photocopy my originals and keep them in box files or just printout some more with those that are electronic.

Keyboards and guitars are pristine though.

Reaction score
Welcome. I’m an adult who just started piano a yr ago. While I can’t help with the equipment, I’m glad to hear your children are so interested I’m music. IMO you sir should be commended for your enthusiastic support of the endeavor.

Ask a Question