K2600xs Piano #199 (Default Program)

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to get an upgrade to something more up to date (and hopefully a bit lighter) than my K2600xs. One patch that has been preventing me from upgrading is the “Default Program” #199 piano patch. I absolutely need this patch, due to it being the same one used by Rick Wright of Pink Floyd (and it’s very distinct; you can tell when listening to the live “Pulse” album that it’s that same one).

I’m in a tribute band, so I need this patch for it’s authenticity. For my other sounds, I use a Korg synth, kurzweil PC2R, and Hammond, so this is the only piano sound I need from this board specifically.

I’m open to any suggestions on what to do. Is there a recent stage piano/module that has this same sound? Should I extract it somehow and just use a midi controller if it’s the only patch I need from it? It’s a pretty bare-bones sound, so I’m hoping for a simple solution.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Edit: in doing a bit of searching, it seems the K2000RS rack module has the 199 default program. I know this is not a new product, but it would definitely be a welcome change to carry this around and not the full k2600xs. Is this patch the exact same one that’s on my xs? Sorry for the dumb question, but I wanted to be sure before I bought one along with a midi controller

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to get an upgrade to something more up to date (and hopefully a bit lighter) than my K2600xs. One patch that has been preventing me from upgrading is the “Default Program” #199 piano patch. I absolutely need this patch, due to it being the same one used by Rick Wright of Pink Floyd (and it’s very distinct; you can tell when listening to the live “Pulse” album that it’s that same one).

I’m in a tribute band, so I need this patch for it’s authenticity. For my other sounds, I use a Korg synth, kurzweil PC2R, and Hammond, so this is the only piano sound I need from this board specifically.

I’m open to any suggestions on what to do. Is there a recent stage piano/module that has this same sound? Should I extract it somehow and just use a midi controller if it’s the only patch I need from it? It’s a pretty bare-bones sound, so I’m hoping for a simple solution.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Edit: in doing a bit of searching, it seems the K2000RS rack module has the 199 default program. I know this is not a new product, but it would definitely be a welcome change to carry this around and not the full k2600xs. Is this patch the exact same one that’s on my xs? Sorry for the dumb question, but I wanted to be sure before I bought one along with a midi controller
The K2600 uses the Kurzweil Triple Strike piano sample. I believe the newer Kurzweil models (Forte, PC3 series, PC4) in addition to their newest piano samples still contain the old triple strike piano sample in them. So the sample is the sample, what could be different are other 'parameter' adjustments to the sample itself and effects. So you could purchase a much lighter and newer Kurzweil and use the triple strike sample, adjust its parameters to the equivalent of the #199 patch and they should sound about the same.

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, as that is very helpful to narrow things down and get an approach. I would MUCH rather go the route of buying a more up-to-date keyboard rather than hunt down a 20-year old module that may constantly need maintenance.

I'm leaning toward the Forte-SE or the PC4-SE, as it seems like I may be able to get this sample tweaked on those with not too much effort, and they appear to be the most cost-effective/light for what I am needing.

Please let me know if anything else comes to mind to get me in the right direction on this, as I'm pretty much a noob at messing around with samples' parameters, etc, and of course I want to make sure I invest in the right one that will not only last me but also provide the simplest solution for my need.

Ask a Question