Nord Grand Vs Nord Piano 5

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I feel like having a little change and fancy buying either the Nord Grand or the Nord Piano 5. This will not be going in my studio but in another room in the house. I love the look of the Nord Grand but understand it's a little older than the Nord Piano 5. As I understand it, the action on the Grand which is a Kawai action is superior to the Nord 4 but is it also superior to the 5?

If anyone of you has played either one or both I would be interested to hear your views!

Many thanks

Reaction score
What I understand is the Nord Grand and Piano 5 electronically they are identical. The keybeds are different and the sensors are placed in different positions so the same piano samples will respond different based on if you're more a classically technique vs any style performance pianist.

Reaction score
What I understand is the Nord Grand and Piano 5 electronically they are identical. The keybeds are different and the sensors are placed in different positions so the same piano samples will respond different based on if you're more a classically technique vs any style performance pianist.
Thank you, good piece of info there to help me decide! The Grand and the Nord 5 are the same price but the Nord 5 is two years newer. On the other hand from what I have seen it seems the Grand feels better to play and is maybe more expressive.

Reaction score
No but I just happened to go into the store before Covid and Justin (the guy doing the video) was playing a 4, it sounded awesome, then he saw me and commented about how much he enjoyed playing the 4, the feel, the sound. I said, no sales pitch please it is not a keyboard I would be buying, to which he went into playing and demo mode to show me its capabilities.

Is there any reason why you are looking at a Nord?

Reaction score
No but I just happened to go into the store before Covid and Justin (the guy doing the video) was playing a 4, it sounded awesome, then he saw me and commented about how much he enjoyed playing the 4, the feel, the sound. I said, no sales pitch please it is not a keyboard I would be buying, to which he went into playing and demo mode to show me its capabilities.

Is there any reason why you are looking at a Nord?
Haha, glad to hear that you were impressed with the sound. Well, I had a Nord Stage 2 a long time ago and I loved the natural organic sounds of the pianos and also loved the EPS. I have been toying with the idea of getting another board just for the pianos and electric pianos. I have had the Kawai ES8, I liked the piano sounds and EPS but it was one of their early boards and the action was off-putting. The Kawai MP11se was great too... just too bulky. I have watched youtube clips of the Yamaha P515 and I really liked it but the action seems too heavy, I am not over keen on the Roland 90X because of their modeling.

The Nord Grand and Nord piano 5 blew me away... I really loved the sound of the White Grand and a few of the others. Unlike other boards, the samples really do seem to have different colors to their sounds.

Reaction score
A Nord Stage is the only Nord I have played, and loved the sounds and the keybed.

I’m only a home player and could not justify buying one, but maybe one day.

Reaction score
In my humble oppinion both the Nord piano 5 and Grand are overpriced sub par as far as their actions are concerned.The Grand is supposed to have a better more realistic action but it has the Kawai RH3 which it uses for it's es920 an 1800$ keyboard vs grand at 4100$ and piano 5 3500$. So basically it really depends if you want to pay the money for the looks for the build quality The sounds etc you have to weigh it all in.Nord keyboards are generally double that of the nearest competitor.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I feel like having a little change and fancy buying either the Nord Grand or the Nord Piano 5. This will not be going in my studio but in another room in the house. I love the look of the Nord Grand but understand it's a little older than the Nord Piano 5. As I understand it, the action on the Grand which is a Kawai action is superior to the Nord 4 but is it also superior to the 5?

If anyone of you has played either one or both I would be interested to hear your views!

Many thanks
If you are more of a classic pianist not a gigger by profession or a studio person then get a proper digital piano like a Kawaii MP11SE no other action comes close.If you want other sounds then you can use your iPad or a module like a Roland boutique to put on top.

Reaction score
As a compromise you may also want to check out the new Numax GT, which I think has the new Fatar 400 wooden action. I have not played it but it's highly reviewed.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Many thanks
It's kind of a joke because the action on the Grand is a medium tier Kawai action found in many of their keyboards and other manufacturers rh3

Reaction score
It's kind of a joke because the action on the Grand is a medium tier Kawai action found in many of their keyboards and other manufacturers rh3
AFAIK, this action (which is similar-but-not-identical to the action in the Kawai MP7SE and ES8) is not found in any other company's boards. Korg's RH3 is completely different action from Kawai's RHIII, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Ask a Question