Keyboard stands for live gigs - 3 tier work ok?

Reaction score
So I have a couple of gigs coming up where I'm going to bring 3 keyboards for the first time. My question is, does it make sense to buy a three tiered stand for all three instruments? Or is should I use a double stand for the two I'll use the most and a single stand for the one I'll use the least.

It doesn't look like many pro keyboard players ever use 3 tier stands so that's one reason I'm concerned about going this route.

Thoughts anyone?

thanks!

Reaction score
So I have a couple of gigs coming up where I'm going to bring 3 keyboards for the first time. My question is, does it make sense to buy a three tiered stand for all three instruments? Or is should I use a double stand for the two I'll use the most and a single stand for the one I'll use the least.

It doesn't look like many pro keyboard players ever use 3 tier stands so that's one reason I'm concerned about going this route.

Thoughts anyone?

thanks!

Theres only one pro keyboard player thats man enough to use a three tier rig.

The keyboard god that is Rick Wakeman.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Seriously though, wait for CowboyNQ to chime in on this.

He gigs with a double tier and a single tier on his right.

He can offer some actual advice about why he went that route.

Personally though I could see the reasoning behind it.

A triple tier keyboard stand must be a bear to transport and set up and knock down.

I think for most live performances triple tier is overkill.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
For several years in the late 90's and on into this millennium I used a 3 tier stand. It mostly had to do with room on stage.That and I could never decide which keyboard would be the single and whether to have it on the right or left side of the double tier. In my home studio I now have 2 3 tier stands but I'm not silly enough to have them close enough so I can reach all six keyboards at the same time. Yet!
My first 3 tier one was made my Ultimate support and it was very easy to transport.The tier assembly just came off by loosening a large bolt on each side and the X stand just folded flat.

Reaction score
For several years in the late 90's and on into this millennium I used a 3 tier stand. It mostly had to do with room on stage.That and I could never decide which keyboard would be the single and whether to have it on the right or left side of the double tier. In my home studio I now have 2 3 tier stands but I'm not silly enough to have them close enough so I can reach all six keyboards at the same time. Yet!
My first 3 tier one was made my Ultimate support and it was very easy to transport.The tier assembly just came off by loosening a large bolt on each side and the X stand just folded flat.

Thanks for your response Jeremy. So you liked the feel of playing on a 3 tier stand? I'm concerned it would be just too high and top heavy and also block my view of either my band mates or the audience. Thoughts?

Reaction score
I always had the heaviest one on the bottom. The lightest on top. The trick was to have the boards all angled for the best playing feel. The height was never an issue. My biggest problem was with my microphone stand.

Reaction score
Unfortunately they don't make the Ultimate Support 3 tier stand anymore but my other one is made by Quiklok. It's pretty heavy though. My only complaint about the Quiklok is that for whatever reason, I just can't seem to get the keyboards all exactly level. I've tried a few different things but they're never just right. For live I wouldn't care that much because in the heat of battle I've been known to bounce them around a fair bit. Here in my home studio though they just look a bit wonky! It could just be the stand isn't built right.Either that or I just have to fiddle with it a bit more.

Reaction score
Seriously though, wait for CowboyNQ to chime in on this.
Haha..thanks Gary, chiming in as predicted!

If you look at my avatar you can actually see my set up, exactly as Gary (happyrat1) described.
My question is, does it make sense to buy a three tiered stand for all three instruments? Or is should I use a double stand for the two I'll use the most and a single stand for the one I'll use the least.

To be frank, it's really what suits you. I'll explain what I do and why, but I guess there's no right or wrong with these things.

I have a weighted 88 keyboard on the bottom tier of a K&M 18880, and a lightweight 61 key synth/workstation/rompler/whatever you want to call it on the top tier. These face across stage pointing towards the rest of the band. This suits me because our show is very technical and the drummer and I interact constantly with little eyebrow raises and head nods, etc.

My third keyboard is a VA synth and points towards the audience. The reason I use three 'boards is twofold:

1. I run a multitude of mid-song patch changes, and I need the extra keyboard real estate to make it all work.
2. In this particular band (Pink Floyd tribute) I really want those lush VA sounds for certain leads - my other keyboards can't quite pack the punch my VA can.

The reason I configure in the L-Shape rather than a three tier stand is as follows:

1. I like to stand up when I play. I'm a little worried about stand stability on a 3-tier rig with such a high centre of gravity. The K&M 18880 does have a three-tier option, and it's a very sturdy stand, so I'm not worried about it spontaneously collapsing. However you'd be amazed at the mayhem that goes on during set up and tear down. All it would take would be a rushing sound tech or a gesticulating bass player to accidentally knock into the top tier and ...JENGA!

2. As mentioned I like to face the drummer, but I do also like to turn towards the audience too from time to time. Having the "L" allows me to do it without looking cheesy, like I'm mugging for them.

3. I often play more than one keyboard simultaneously, and I don't like my hands being at such different heights. Reaching across to cover the "L" doesn't bother me nearly as much.

4. More real estate for my various pedals.

I should add that this band only every plays on large theatre stages, so the extra room taken up by the "L" is never an issue. I also play in a pub covers act, but I only use two (or sometimes one) keyboards for that.

Hope that helps - good luck with your setup!

Last edited:

Ask a Question