Keyboard suggestions?

Reaction score
Okay, at the risk of sounding redundant....I'm in the market for a new keyboard and would appreciate any suggestions.

I have a $2000 (USD) budget.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Portability. I have to be able to put it in a case and sling in over my shoulder.

Solid build. It needs to endure lots of moving around.

76 or 88 weighted keys. (I know, portability and weighted keys together are a tough combination to find).

Built-in speakers. I prefer to only have to carry around the keyboard, without having to also haul speakers. However, I would welcome any discussion on this...

Lots of on-board editing capabilities for recording music without requiring a separate computer. If you go to the section where members can post their music, you'll see the type of music I record and compose. Here are editing capabilities I would like:

1) I need to be able to "Punch-in" anywhere in the music without having to play the music from the beginning. For example, let's say my piece is 100 measures long, and I want to edit bar 75. On my Casio, I can't just go straight to bar 74 or 75, I always have to start from the beginning (bar 1) and wait until the music plays to bar 75, and then edit. This is crazy.

2) I also need to be able to be able to change various tempos within the piece, and save it. On any keyboard, you can increase or decrease the tempo for an entire piece. What I would like is to have a programmed tempo increase and/or decrease within specific sections of a piece (some sections allegro, other sections rubato, some places ralentando, etc).

Of course, I would like the other things as well:

1) Realistic instrument sounds (orchestral strings, brass, woodwind, percussion, grand piano, etc). I really don't need helicopter sounds, gunshots, or telephone rings.

2) Layering capabilities for multiple tracks.

3) Ability to save compositions in transferable media (SD, USB Flash drive, etc).

4) MIDI interfaceable. I think this is pretty standard now.

As you can see, I would like to do as much music writing/editing without having to use a computer. I would use the computer simply for the transcribing.

Also, I don't need any funky sounds or drum beat rhythms, as most of my music will be piano only or orchestra arrangements. If the keyboard comes with these features, that's okay. I just don't need it to "specialize" in these areas. I do need the full range of orchestra instruments, both solo and sections (ie. violin solo, as well as string section. Trumpet solo as well as brass, etc).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Ask a Question