Keylab 88 MKII or S88 MK2 or something else?

Reaction score
Karol

Glad that you are getting there with your selection process.

My Essential was bundled with the Analogue Lab and Rhodes plug-ins, these are probably demo packs to induce a buyer to purchase additional packs but as the V collection is $500 it is a fair slice of cash for 24 instruments.

So add a controller and software and you have spent a good few hundred dollars hence why I suggested previously to consider a full keyboard like the Juno DS.

There are plenty of free VST’s available and if you search this forum you will find links to the freebie sites.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The V Collection can be pricey to purchase, although I think it's possible to get it on sale for as much as 50% off, the catch being you need to keep an eye peeled for when it's on sale, which is typically only a few times each year.

However, the V Collection is just that-- a collection of virtual instruments-- and you can also purchase any of them separately rather than buying the entire collection. It's cheaper per instrument to buy the entire collection-- but if you're really only interested in one or two instruments, it's cheaper to buy just those instruments.

Reaction score
Hardware wise I really liked extended chord functions to get me started quick, before my playing improves. I did consider Juno DS as you (@Biggles) suggested. I don't want to sound silly, but I didn't like the looks of it... for some reason aesthetics play a big role for me. Also I don't care that much about having it playing standalone, as playing live would be very rare if ever, and I would always have access to some PA, and would have my laptop with me as well. Btw I didn't say thanks @Biggles for all your help and hints. Appreciate it!

As for instruments and sounds I'm not into buying new ones for now. The list of presets I get with Analog Lab is more than enough for now. Also I get full versions of Piano V, Mini V, Stage-73 V and B-3 V with a keyboard. I guess this is already pretty good. I think the only one I'm interested in would be Solina V, but will wait until some decent discount as @SeaGtGruff mentioned.

There's one thing I really want to have already, which is UVI Orchestral Suite or something similar. Quality sounds good to my ears, and the amount of sounds you get is great imo - good value for money. I do think that NI has a better VST for it but it's also way more expensive. I may browse for some free orchestral VSTs then as well...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have several UVI products, but most of them are synth sound or exotic "world" sound libraries. UVI also has sales on specific products from time to time, and if you're an established customer they sometimes offer discounts to encourage you to buy additional products.

Reaction score
Ah crap! Just got the email from the shop - they actually don't have white Keylabs 61 MK2 any more... back to square one :)

I see it this way:
- either buy from another shop
- go and test other keyboards

Damn... I was so happy that I made the decision the other day, and now all the doubts are back in my head again :mad:

Reaction score
Hi!

I have the same doubt between 88 Keylab MK2 or Komplete s88 MK2 but I want to use it mostly as a pianist. Actually, I want to use it mostly with Keyscape's pianos and I want to make the most out of it but I can afford a more expensive piano like a Kawai VPC 1

Reaction score
Just for piano, as a low priced alternative to the VPC, again, I'd suggest looking at Studiologic SL88 Grand, Korg D1, and Casio.

Reaction score
Welcome Sambu.

For the same price or less than the Arturia or Komplete you could buy a dedicated digital piano or even one with quite an onboard array of rhythms or auto accompaniment Styles. Most would come with onboard speakers.

In addition to the digital pianos that Scott suggests do take a look at:-
Yamaha P125
Roland FPX 30
Kawai ES110
Casio S1000

For more onboard sounds and features:-
Casio S3000
Korg XE20
Yamaha DGX670

Reaction score
First of all, I'm amazed how fast you answer. Thanks! :D

To give you some context, I make a living playing keys...or I used to (before pandemic). I have an upright piano (just to practice, not recording), a Korg Krome 73, a Launchkey 49 and an Xkey 37. I started recording from home as my main job since all this pandemic thing began. I'm using Spectrasonics, Komplete 12 and Arturia's V-Collection 7. I never "upgraded" my Krome 73 because I used to work on the cruise industry so I didn't spend too much time at home (like 3 months per year).

Now I want to upgrade my gear for better recording options and maybe for playing Live (if we are able to do that some day again), I was first thinking on buying the Kronos 88 and that's a big deal. After a long searching, I'm starting to think something like buying a very good 88 hammered action key (Hopefully FATAR) controller would suit the best for my recording/producing needs, and besides that, I was thinking on buying the Kronos 61 (Not 88) for Live purposes and because I really really love Korg synths and leads. (other days I wake up thinking on buying an 88 midi controller and a MatrixBrute...but that's another story).

So, I'm not looking for a full Keyboard controller "Piano feel" like a Kawai VCP1, but I'm not looking for a Stage piano either. BUT I surely want a very good (hopefully excellent) Keybed for a controller.

I'm new in this forum and I'm not sure if this should be a different topic, I hope not cause any trouble. Thanks!

Welcome Sambu.

For the same price or less than the Arturia or Komplete you could buy a dedicated digital piano or even one with quite an onboard array of rhythms or auto accompaniment Styles. Most would come with onboard speakers.

In addition to the digital pianos that Scott suggests do take a look at:-
Yamaha P125
Roland FPX 30
Kawai ES110
Casio S1000

For more onboard sounds and features:-
Casio S3000
Korg XE20
Yamaha DGX670

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all, I'm amazed how fast you answer. Thanks! :D

To give you some context, I make a living playing keys...or I used to (before pandemic). I have an upright piano (just to practice, not recording), a Korg Krome 73, a Launchkey 49 and an Xkey 37. I started recording from home as my main job since all this pandemic thing began. I'm using Spectrasonics, Komplete 12 and Arturia's V-Collection 7. I never "upgraded" my Krome 73 because I used to work on the cruise industry so I didn't spend too much time at home (like 3 months per year).

Now I want to upgrade my gear for better recording options and maybe for playing Live (if we are able to do that some day again), I was first thinking on buying the Kronos 88 and that's a big deal. After a long searching, I'm starting to think something like buying a very good 88 hammered action key (Hopefully FATAR) controller would suit the best for my recording/producing needs, and besides that, I was thinking on buying the Kronos 61 (Not 88) for Live purposes and because I really really love Korg synths and leads. (other days I wake up thinking on buying an 88 midi controller and a MatrixBrute...but that's another story).

So, I'm not looking for a full Keyboard controller "Piano feel" like a Kawai VCP1, but I'm not looking for a Stage piano either. BUT I surely want a very good (hopefully excellent) Keybed for a controller.

I'm new in this forum and I'm not sure if this should be a different topic, I hope not cause any trouble. Thanks!

Seriously, forget about Arturia controllers. They are so software dependent on constant communication and firmware updates from the internet it would cost you a fortune with cruise line internet.

Buy something from Studiologic, which is a subsidiary of Fatar with the keyboard type you like.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
And a Studiologic SL88 is half the price of the Arturia or Komplete.
Only the SL88 Studio, which has the lesser action, is that cheap. If you're buying it as a controller for Keyscape and the like, you probably want the better action of the SL88 Grand.

Reaction score
Seriously, forget about Arturia controllers. They are so software dependent on constant communication and firmware updates from the internet it would cost you a fortune with cruise line internet.

Buy something from Studiologic, which is a subsidiary of Fatar with the keyboard type you like.

Gary ;)
Well, I'm not looking for an 88 keyboard to take on cruises and Arturia Keylab MK2 has FATAR keybed but I'm reading a couple of bad reviews about it's Keybed. I'm reading about the SL88 Grand and it seems to have a lot of good reviews

Reaction score
Arturia is based on the lower end Fatar TP100 (like the cheaper Studiologic). The better Fatar series is TP40 (used in the Studiologic Grand).

Reaction score
Hi!

I have the same doubt between 88 Keylab MK2 or Komplete s88 MK2 but I want to use it mostly as a pianist. Actually, I want to use it mostly with Keyscape's pianos and I want to make the most out of it but I can afford a more expensive piano like a Kawai VPC 1
Unfortunately I cannot help you with your choice... I ended up getting Kawai CA79 for my wife so the action is OK, and had Arturia Keylab MK2 61 with synth action.

My dilemma was to marry both - give me something to play with VSTs and have hammer action for her. But the more we were looking at it, the more we understood that having both will not work. I preferred synth action, and she's a pianist, and hammer action in those two was still far from good. She says, it was comparable to cheap electric pianos, e.g. from Roland FP series, which she didn't like at all.

Even Kawai CA79 is not exactly what she likes, as in church she has access to a grand piano. But it's enough to practice at home.

The only advice I have is to test it... all the specs mean nothing. You need to see how the keys feel for yourself. Software wise they're both great imo.

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm selling my VPC1 ;)

Reaction score
Well, I'm not looking for an 88 keyboard to take on cruises and Arturia Keylab MK2 has FATAR keybed but I'm reading a couple of bad reviews about it's Keybed. I'm reading about the SL88 Grand and it seems to have a lot of good reviews
SL88 Grand is a slightly better Fatar keybed.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot help you with your choice... I ended up getting Kawai CA79 for my wife so the action is OK, and had Arturia Keylab MK2 61 with synth action.

My dilemma was to marry both - give me something to play with VSTs and have hammer action for her. But the more we were looking at it, the more we understood that having both will not work. I preferred synth action, and she's a pianist, and hammer action in those two was still far from good. She says, it was comparable to cheap electric pianos, e.g. from Roland FP series, which she didn't like at all.

Even Kawai CA79 is not exactly what she likes, as in church she has access to a grand piano. But it's enough to practice at home.

The only advice I have is to test it... all the specs mean nothing. You need to see how the keys feel for yourself. Software wise they're both great imo.
The action in the CA79 is in a completely different league...far, far superior in terms of simulating an acoustic piano. Keybeds of that quality === very heavy keyboards / DPs. 70 lbs and up.

Reaction score
I had Native and I’m going to Arturia 88 Mkii. NI88 has a bad piano feeling. If you Looking for a good controller I thing fader port pro, is the best. I’m using on orchestral tools mock-up and it works.

Ask a Question