Korg Kross sustain pedal issue

Reaction score
I have a Korg Kross 88 and seem to experience an intermittent sustain pedal issue. Sometimes it works , sometimes not. Very annoying and undependable. I have two pedals, an Alesis and an OnStage and it does this with either/both pedals from time to time. i keep plugging it in and unplugging it to try to get it to work. Sometimes it just magically starts working and then sometimes it won't work at all. Any ideas. Opening up the synth looks like a major hassle

Reaction score
How long have you had the Kross and the pedals?

Has it always done this?

Is it on all patches?

Do the pedals work 100% of the time on another keyboard?

Have you tried borrowing a mate's pedal to see if that suffers the same issues?

Which jack are you plugging the pedals into?

Do they cut out mid-session or for an entire session?

Reaction score
HI Cowboy,
Thanks for responding.
I'll try to answer in order.
1. Kross, maybe 3 years. Onstage pedal, purchased at same time, Alesis pedal 15 years, came with QS6.2 in 2002.
2. no, several months now
3. regardless of patch. no sustain
4.Works on the Alesis QS6.2
5. No I haven't.
6. Damper input on Korg Kross. Went into global and set foot-switch input to damper also, doesn't work there either.
7. Doesn't work from the get go.
I'll go to set up for a gig and it won't work, net time it does work. Sometimes it miraculously starts working when before it wasn't and sometimes it stops working when minutes before it was.
Last night at rehearsal it worked fine. Today, nada...

Reaction score
Cool - probably worth trying a third (relatively new and reliable) pedal at some point to definitely eliminate the issue being based around the pedal itself. Sometimes when the cable gets worn or twisted they can cut out intermittently.

If it's not that and it's an intermittent issue withe board itself, beyond my knowledge of how you'd fix that other than try and replicate the problem for a tech.

Reaction score
How long have you had the Kross and the pedals?

Has it always done this?

Is it on all patches?

Do the pedals work 100% of the time on another keyboard?

Have you tried borrowing a mate's pedal to see if that suffers the same issues?

Which jack are you plugging the pedals into?

Do they cut out mid-session or for an entire session?

I am having the exact same issues with ALL of the new pedals Im buying.
They seem to have changed something in the way they're wiring or manufacturing the circuitry.
I have a slightly different board. Mine is a Triton Extreme 88 which I have 3 of and the pedals Im
buying arent working on any of them except very intermitently.

Anyone find an old style pedal that works or any fix on this issue?

Reaction score
Well, the brand new pedals don't work on any 10 year or older keyboard I try them on.
I truly think that something has changed in the circuitry of the newer pedals.

Reaction score
Well, the brand new pedals don't work on any 10 year or older keyboard I try them on.
You may be choosing pedals that are incompatible with your old board(s). That has nothing to do with how old or new they are. But for example, pedals designed for Yamahas and Rolands generally won't work on Korgs and Casios (and vice versa), regardless of whether the keyboard (or the pedals) are old or new. Also, some damper pedals are continuous rather than on/off, and these are generally not compatible across brands, nor even compatible with boards of the same brand that are not specifically designed for half-dampering... for the most part, you want to use only a factory-original sustain pedal for these cases. But any simple on-off sustain pedal that says it is compatible with Korg should work on your Triton (or any other Korg you have), unless the pedal is defective or the keyboard is broken. The basic Korg sustain pedal wiring has probably been the same for over 40 years.

ETA: Some third party pedals have switches for Korg compatibility mode vs. Yamaha compatibility mode... if yours has a switch, it has to be in the correct position for the type of board you have.

Ask a Question