Korg pa5x midi commands

Reaction score
Anyone know where to find the midi control and program commands for the Korg pa5x please, there's a single page in the manual with GM stuff but nothing about how to select a song from the song book, turn on/off Upper1,2,or 3, select a different sound for Upeer 1,2 or 3,switch the Keyboard Set button between 1,2,3 and 4 etc?

Reaction score
Your post is confusing!

Are you trying to do all you list via MIDI commands?

If its a two part question as I am interpreting it to be then that is a different matter.

Are you new to using a Pa5X?

If you are then looking at the video manual series will show how to do the tasks you question.

Reaction score
Your post is confusing!

Are you trying to do all you list via MIDI commands?

If its a two part question as I am interpreting it to be then that is a different matter.

Are you new to using a Pa5X?

If you are then looking at the video manual series will show how to do the tasks you question.

Yes I'm trying to do as much as possible via MIDI commands, when I'm playing live I don't want to be pressing buttons mid song. I'm new to the Korg pa5X but not to controlling keyboards via MIDI commands. I know it's the more advanced end of MIDI and manufacturers aren't great at giving the information but it's a very effective way to control the keyboard when playing live.

So to give you an example if I have a song saved on the Korg and the entry number I give it is 1234 I can send the following commands to the Korg via one of the Midi channels and it will pull up the song:

Ctrl 99 2 (NPRN MSB)
Ctrl 98 64 (NPRN LSB)
Ctrl 6 12 (Data MSB)
Ctrl 38 34 (Data LSB)

It will also set up the 4 Keyboard Sets with the song that I would have saved on the Korg. What it won't do is select one of the Keyboard Sets and activate it. There has to be a MIDI command that can do that. Equally you may want to go from Keyboard Set 1 to Keyboard Set 3 and change the Volume and Pan on Keyboard Set 3 at the same time, you can obviously to this when you not playing by pressing buttons and adjusting slides but there should also be MIDI commands available that allow you to do this without having to touch the keyboard.

Reaction score
The Pa5X is a work in progress, and sorry to tell you but you are a Beta tester.

Despite it being on the market for well over a year Korg have been very poor in issuing updates to the OS which is feature limited compared to the 4X which had a dedicated MIDI pedal board available.

I have no answer as far as setting up MIDI goes other than to point you towards the Manual where there are 50 pages on MIDI controls.

Sadly due to Korg’s international restructuring the one, most efficient member of their Tech staff is no longer with the company so goodness knows if you would ever get a sensible response contacting Korg Tech Support.

Good luck

Reaction score
The Pa5X is a work in progress, and sorry to tell you but you are a Beta tester.

Despite it being on the market for well over a year Korg have been very poor in issuing updates to the OS which is feature limited compared to the 4X which had a dedicated MIDI pedal board available.

I have no answer as far as setting up MIDI goes other than to point you towards the Manual where there are 50 pages on MIDI controls.

Sadly due to Korg’s international restructuring the one, most efficient member of their Tech staff is no longer with the company so goodness knows if you would ever get a sensible response contacting Korg Tech Support.

Good luck
Ah I didn't realise that Biggles. Tks for the response, you've probably saved me a lot of searching. The 50 pages on Midi is the standard stuff nothing about programming. There's one page in the Appendix but again it's the absolute minimum and only the standard GM stuff.

You've also explained why when I attached a FC1 and FC2 switch pedals and press either, both switches triggered 🙃. I'll report that issue.

Still it's an awesome keyboard, the sounds are superb and the access ease to the controllers when using it in production is excellent.

tks again. I'll reach out to Korg and see what happens.

Reaction score
ok I got to the bottom of this so I'm going to write in the solution in case anyone else is interested.

The Program Change (PC) numbers are wrong on P.581

The PC Kbdset1 should be 65
The PC Kbdset2 should be 66
The PC Kbdset3 should be 67
The PC Kbdset4 should be 68

I figured this out by accident when I saw what Kbdsets were being selected.

In fairness to Korg they did engage quickly but I had already got there by accident. The Korg guy said the FC1 and FC2 dual switch problem was probably because I used stereo cables as opposed to mono. I didn't check but would make sense.

Ask a Question