Kurzweil Mark 10W - dead

Reaction score
I was given a Kurzweil Mark 10W, S/N 249511050633 by someone who was making room for a home office. It was not operating when I picked it up. Although I do not know much of the history of it, they said a grandparent had owned it & given it to them, and that the repair was supposedly "minor". It came with no manuals or any documentation, and there was only a single power cord that came with it.

I can plug it in & when the switch is turned on, I can hear the transformer turn on, but after that nothing. Nothing lights up, no sound, no nothing. Cosmetically, the unit appears to be in good shape.

I've popped the top on it & checked the two fuses there at the power supply, and they are intact (I did not check them for voltage/amperage, as I do not have a specification for it).

I have been able to find a manual here: https://kurzweil.com/mark_10-110-150/#downloads but haven't read through it to see if it has the electronic specs or troubleshooting info yet.

I've restored jukeboxes in the past, and have worked on guitars and minor amp repairs in the past, but this is my first keyboard. If anyone has any troubleshooting tips, advice, electronic specs, help, etc. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Visit Youtube and search on various terms relating to keyboard repairs, as well as Kurzweil specifically, and you'll find hundreds of walkthrus on the subject.

As for parts, if you need them, we do have a few good links if and when you need them.

Good luck with your restoration.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
What are some of the resources for parts?
I’ve been advised the keyboard is likely not worth repair, but depending on price & availability of parts, I haven’t ruled out swapping out parts on the one I have.

I have the top off it, and have been looking at the circuit boards to see if I see any roasted components, bulging capacitors, or anything that looks out of the ordinary.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Get yourself an ESR meter to find the dead caps that your eyes deceive you with. Check youtube on how to use an ESR meter.

Is the power supply outputting any reasonable voltages? +/- 15, +/-12, +/- 5?

If not then that's where your search begins and possibly ends.

Parts Houses for Kurzweil Keyboards in my bookmarks include the following.

Don't go off swapping boards willy nilly.

Remember the problem is either an open or a closed circuit somewhere.

Sometimes more than one.

Good luck with the restoration.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Don't forget to search for thermally cracked solder joints and oxidized connectors as well.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question