Looking for a midi hack

Reaction score
Hi. I thought that this was possible but then I looked into doing it and with my limited knowledge have come up short.
I play a keytar, yes-yes I know. I actually have a few, 2 Roland ax1’s and a alesis vortex 2.
there are 3 things I am trying to do that my controllers will not allow me to do

1. Send midi note data on multiple channels at the same time

2. switch midi channels on the fly

3. re-map individual keys to different midi notes. (I want to make four different keys the same note)

Reaction score
For #1 and #2, the AX1 lets you send on 2 channels at a time (as a split or layer). Each of your stored memory locations can have a different MIDI channel or pair of MIDI channels. (I think the original Vortex could do the same, I don't know about the Vortex 2.) If you need more flexibility than that (e.g. to send on more than two channels, or to do the kind of key-remapping you're talking about in #3), you'd need some kind of external MIDI processor. There are hardware boxes, and there are also apps you can run on an iPad or laptop, for example.

Reaction score
Hi! Maybe this one will help you?

Reaction score
1. I was hoping to transmit midi note data on 4 channels simultaneously. Yes you are correct that the AX-1 and the Vortex 2 can transmit on 2 channels but I need to see if the vortex 2 can “Layer”

2. Ok, so I will have to switch programs to switch midi channels, I can make that work thank you.

3. This is for live playing and I do not use a computer or IPad live. Strictly hardware, I have had too many issues in the past. I won’t even use wireless miidi
So what is this Hardware Box that will let me remap the key bed so that I can have 4 keys play the
Same note and the rest of the key bed remain normal?

Reaction score
1. I was hoping to transmit midi note data on 4 channels simultaneously. Yes you are correct that the AX-1 and the Vortex 2 can transmit on 2 channels
If you're up for yet another keytar, the Roland AX-Edge can transmit on up to 4.

So what is this Hardware Box that will let me remap the key bed so that I can have 4 keys play the
Same note and the rest of the key bed remain normal?
It's nothing I've ever needed to do, but I would start by looking at these, one or more of them can likely do the trick:

Ask a Question