Looking for touch-sensitive, portable, good sound DP

Reaction score
I'm more interested in organ than piano sound...Maybe a controller would do fine?
If you are okay with connecting to your computer or an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch for your sounds, a controller can get you good piano and organ sounds at low cost.

If you want to stick with a 61-key board with sounds, the Roland VR-09 would be much better than the Juno DS61 for organ (though for piano, I'm not a fan of either).

Reaction score
Numa Compact 2X $700 US

Roland VR 06 $1030

M Audio Oxygen Pro 61 $300

Novation Impulse 61 $400

Roland A800 Pro $420, I had one of these, a great controller.

Reaction score
I forgot how much more the VR09 is than the DS61! There was a time when it was going for less, but now its higher than ever. Though they are also often available used.

There are quite a few possible 61 controllers in budget, from the brands you mention, and also Nektar and Arturia. The big unknown to me (and why I didn't make any recommendations) is I don't know which ones have the more suitable actions (especially if one must play piano from it as well).

Reaction score
So... Umm Yamaha PSR E363. How touch sensitive is it? 2 levels or more?
For all intents and purposes, keyboards are either touch (velocity) sensitive or they are not. In theory, they are capable of 127 levels. Even if they are limited to something less, it will be WAY more than two.

Reaction score
If you are now considering an E series I suggest you discount a 3xx and only look at a 463 or EW410.

The downside is these really are beginner boards.

If you are predominantly interested in learning Piano then imo, you would be far better off getting a DP.

A Yamaha P121 would give you great piano sounds, 73 keys, henct compact and light weight so your portable criteria is easily met and with 192 notes of polyphony. It is far more capable keyboard than the 64 or 128 notes that some of the keyboards in your price range. $600 US.

Reaction score
If you are predominantly interested in learning Piano then imo, you would be far better off getting a DP.
It sounds to me like his teacher may be predominantly interested in his learning piano... but the OP is more interested in learning organ. ;-) (see post #18)

A Yamaha P121 would give you great piano sounds, 73 keys, henct compact and light weight so your portable criteria is easily met and with 192 notes of polyphony. It is far more capable keyboard than the 64 or 128 notes that some of the keyboards in your price range. $600 US.
I don't think the difference between 192, 128, or 64 polyphony should be a concern here. Not unless maybe he comes back and starts talking about also playing MIDI backing tracks, layering sounds, or wanting auto accompaniment (in which case, the P121 wouldn't be a strong choice anyway). Based on his stated needs and being a beginner, I think talk of considering the polyphony spec just adds confusion.

I have a tvm-15 busking amp which helps but wouldn't say the sound quality is great. It is good for BBQs.
As long as you have something to play through, this at least means you don't have to limit yourself to boards wth speakers (or allow in your budget for a separate amp). I doubt any board in your price range is going to have really great sounding speakers anyway, so the bar is low. ;-)

Reaction score
Actually for organ sounds I added a Ferrofish B4000+ Hammond Emulator Module to my DS88.

Gary ;)
I had that thought, after reading the original post. That would mean spending some money on a touch-sensitive keyboard (to serve as a controller for the Ferrofish, but it wouldn't have to be an 88-weighted-key model:

. . . A Yamaha PSR-3xx or PSR-4xx would do.

. Charles

PS -- written before I got to the end of the thread.

Reaction score
So, I bought a Yamaha PSR-E463.

Pros: It at least had two knobs that adjust the organ sounds. Non-weighted, 61 keys, touch-sensitive. It takes 6 AA batteries.

Cons: backlit screen - I often practice at night with a candle or light and the screen just shouts at my eyes, so I cover it with a book. No Leslie switch or whatever it is called but maybe it is in the features.

I got 10% off because it was open box.

The upper keys feel easier to press.

Thanks all. I think I will keep it unless something glaring comes up. Was a bit of a hike to get it.
16280297994033347761768176692257.jpg

Reaction score
It sounds to me like his teacher may be predominantly interested in his learning piano... but the OP is more interested in learning organ. ;-) (see post #18)
True! Well I love the sound of an organ. Will I actually learn? I would like organ sounds to be part of my repertoire.

Ask a Question