Looking to get back into piano (/programmer)

Reaction score
I took lessons for a couple years, but it didn't really stick with me. Now, I'm a bit older, and I'm looking at getting back into piano. Nothing fancy, mind you, just a digital keyboard (portable, must) that I can practice on and work with to relearn piano and...well, have fun.

Now, I'm a programmer by hobby, schooling, and profession, and I'll probably turn the keyboard into some wonky input device, or at least exploit every feature of the keyboard for some esoteric purpose.

Now, after casually browsing the forums for a bit, I think that perhaps Yamaha is the best bang per buck? I'll probably wind up purchasing through ebay, unless I can find a really good deal, as I'm looking around the $300 price point.

I do, in fact, want 88 keys on the keyboard. What models should I be looking into? I checked out Yamaha's website, but I can't find any portables (optional stand) with a full set. Any recommendations, cautions, or help?

Thanks in advance,
-Stefan

Reaction score
Looking into things a bit more, I'm probably just going to want a midi-controller...although it appears as if 88 keys may be impossible.

I'm looking for full-sized, velocity sensitive keys.

Another question, though: What kind of software is used most commonly with midi controllers for recording and sound output?

Edit: Last post of the night =P

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K61P

Has anyone had any experience with the k61p? That's in my price range, and it looks pretty nice...I haven't found any definitive reviews, however.

Reaction score
The m88 keystation looks pretty nice...hmm....and it appears as if ebay has it for significantly less than retailers, new or used.

We may have found a winner.

Ask a Question