Mac-based all-in-one worksation

Reaction score
Apple don't make hardware keyboards - is that what you're asking?

If you mean can you build a keyboard rig with a Mac as its basis - yes.

Post back if you want more info - I don't want to type a long response until I understand what you're asking..

Reaction score
Hey, yes I meant Apple-based hardware keyboards. I'm trying to avoid having to bring a laptop to shows. Is there another way? Currently I have the Korg M3 which I use all-in-one for sequencing, sounds, and live playback unit. Its good but it'd be great to have a Mac environment for sequencing and tweaking sounds, etc.

Open Labs makes something similar but its Windows-based. I'm looking for something a bit smaller.

Is there hardware besides a laptop that is able to handle Ableton sequences for live playback? Like putting songs in a certain order and using footswitch pedal to start the next song?

Reaction score
I don't gig with Abelton but I know how popular it is. Would you consider an iPad or is it too like a laptop?

There is already a way to use the iPad to control Abelton. Abelton still needs to be running within wifi range on a separate computer as the iPad isn't powerful enough (AFAIK) to run it.

I mention this because the iPad 2 is due very soon.

There is already a hardware audio interface for the first iPad - the Alesis Studiodock. IMO Abelton or something like it is going to be on the iPad 2 very soon - it's a growth area and the music companies know it. If Abelton don't do it themselves, someone like Sonoma may do a similar product. Or some iApp literate electro boffin will knock one up - or maybe the Propellerheads gang will have a go.

Reaction score
Abelton still needs to be running within wifi range on a separate computer as the iPad isn't powerful enough (AFAIK) to run it.

Uhh.... Having your gig relying on a Wi-Fi connection overwhelmed me with warning signs....

Reaction score
Having my gigs reply on the musicians I work with getting there and staying sober ... should overwhelm me - I try not to think about it too much.

Ask a Question