Mapping Yamaha PSR-E voices to famous keyboards

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an online reference mapping Yamaha PSR-E voices (I have a PSR-EW425) to famous electric pianos (Rhodes, Wurlitzer etc) & organs (Hammond, Vox etc)?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like that, although I think I once read somewhere that the "suitcase electric piano" is supposed to be a Rhodes. That may have been in reference to voices on other brands of keyboards, since it's very common for keyboard manufacturers to use generic descriptions to avoid using trademarked brand names.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
One suggested way to proceed is to look at the styles, songs, and database entries which are supposed to be for specific songs (although those can be tough to decipher), use the OTS feature to set the Main Voice for that style, song, of database entry (although the Music Database feature was dropped on later PSR-E4xx models), see what voice it's using, and look up the brand and model of keyboard that was used by the artist who wrote that song or made it famous.

Reaction score
Sounds like you are volunteering for the task!

Play your keyboard sound by sound and compare it to the online version of the sound you want.

Map the results.
LOL I could give it a try, but I have such limited knowledge of organs and EP's I wouldn't do a very good job of it :)

Reaction score
I think I once read somewhere that the "suitcase electric piano" is supposed to be a Rhodes.
Yes, because Rhodes had a model by that name, it was the one that came with a speaker unit. I guess the speaker unit looked like a big suitcase. Other names that will indicate a Rhodes are other model names (Mark I through Mark V Stage pianos), or tine (the mechanism in a Rhodes that makes the sound). Wurlitzer EPs likewise may be named after specific models (like 140, 200), or reed (the mechanism that makes the sound). Sometimes a patch may be named for a famous song or artist that used a particular sound. (A "Herbie" EP sound would be a Rhodes, for Hancock.)

Looking at the PSR-EW425 data list, patches 13 through 21 are probably Rhodes.

Ask a Question