Need help with Rhythms mapping Time-Signatures

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am a new member of this group and I have very limited knowledge in music theory but I do love to play my electronic keyboard, so I hope someone out there can answer my "primitive" questions.

My Casio CT-638 has only these rhythms-- Rock(1&2), 8-Beat(1&2), 16-Beat(1&2), Disco(1&2), Pops(1&2), Slow Rock, BlueGrass, Swing, Reggae, Samba, Tango, Bosa Nova, Beguine, Waltz, March.

1. Can you help me to divide them into groups corresponding to various time-signatures (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 6/8, etc.) ? I know Waltz is for 3/4 and March is for 4/4, but what about all the others ?

2. Is it safe to say any group of rhythms suitable for 3/4 are also good for 6/8 ? If not, which one is ?

3. In particular, the easy score I have on our national anthem "The Star Spangled Banner" is 3/4, but is Waltz really suitable ? Which else would you recommend ? Similarly, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" is also 3/4
but is there some rhythm better than Waltz for it?

4. I have an easy score on a song which is 2/4, which rhythm(s) would you recommend ?

5. My easy score on the famous "Harmonious Blacksmith" by Handel is 4/4 but I feel March does not sound quite right with it, which would you recommend ?

6. Some songs require rhythms which my keyboard does not have. Although I do plan to buy a new one with these rhythms one fine day (will you recommend any Casio model which is not much over $100?), can you tell
me which I do have now is the best match for--
Latin ----- Tango ?
Fox Trot -- 8-Beat ?
Ballad ---- Slow Rock?
Country --- Pops(1&2) ?
Shuffle --- Swing ?
Polka ----- March ?
Jazz ------ Swing ?
Rhumba ---- ?

Many Thanks and Best Regards in Advance!
VerdaFolio (Queens, New York)

Reaction score
Hello,

We would have to go through what you said:

1 All styles of music can either be 2/4, 3/4, 4/4 or what ever. There is no style (that you mentioned) with only one beat.
2 You can use 3/4 for a 6/8 time, but..... (to be continued later)
3 For that tune, it is 3/4, but as for a better rhythm, the answer is ...(to be continued later)
4 The recomendation is.... (to be continued later)
5 THIS is the answer to 5 and the continuation: It is all up to YOU. I understand that you are looking for help, but even as a beginner, it is your taste, your preferance that is motivating you to play ("I feel March does not sound quite right....") See? Even now you are making decisions, and they are NOT wrong, but are your preferances
6 See #5, for the first part. As far as the which (next) Casio to get, see what is available in music stores or pawn shops, that way you can get a feel for what they sound like/features/etc.

Keep moving forward!!! Hope this helps...............Pat

Ask a Question