Medeli AKX10

Reaction score
I heard all comments regarding "made in China" qualities. Agreed with some and dis-agreed with few others.
I own a Tyros3 and recently bought a Genos to enjoy super sounds.
A few weeks ago, I decided to give a try of the Medeli AKX-10 after watching many youtube videos.
My first impression is this keyboard is quite good at the price 700 US$. It has almost all the features of Yamaha keyboard (SX-900 or Genos), similar user interface, ONLY with lower quality voices (no complaint at this low price).
I found that the touch screen and the user interface seems to be better than Yamaha. I am a software developer by trade, and found that Medeli software made things easy for users when it comes to Style Creator, Quick Settings (OTS), backing up all user setting/styles/songs, etc... to USB.
It has many useful features those high end Genos do not have: such as record and play MP3 (WAV too), audio interface allows direct audio recording on computer. The keyboard bed feels quite good.
At this low price, I could not find any Yamaha arranger keyboard that matches this Medeli AKX-10, features and voice quality included.
OF COURSE: as with many, I have doubt about this AKX-10 reliability.
I am taking A CHANCE and willing to do so.

I wish I am hired to work on firmware for Yamaha or Medeli keyboards. Too late now, I am retired.

Reaction score
I heard all comments regarding "made in China" qualities. Agreed with some and dis-agreed with few others.
I own a Tyros3 and recently bought a Genos to enjoy super sounds.
A few weeks ago, I decided to give a try of the Medeli AKX-10 after watching many youtube videos.
My first impression is this keyboard is quite good at the price 700 US$. It has almost all the features of Yamaha keyboard (SX-900 or Genos), similar user interface, ONLY with lower quality voices (no complaint at this low price).
I found that the touch screen and the user interface seems to be better than Yamaha. I am a software developer by trade, and found that Medeli software made things easy for users when it comes to Style Creator, Quick Settings (OTS), backing up all user setting/styles/songs, etc... to USB.
It has many useful features those high end Genos do not have: such as record and play MP3 (WAV too), audio interface allows direct audio recording on computer. The keyboard bed feels quite good.
At this low price, I could not find any Yamaha arranger keyboard that matches this Medeli AKX-10, features and voice quality included.
OF COURSE: as with many, I have doubt about this AKX-10 reliability.
I am taking A CHANCE and willing to do so.

I wish I am hired to work on firmware for Yamaha or Medeli keyboards. Too late now, I am retired.
There is one thing (maybe more to come) MEDELI is lacking - there is no way to switch/edit voices in midi files to make playback sound better. Another point to mention, unfortunately, there is no decent review on Youtube made by professional keyboardists to showcase the full potential of this instrument.

Reaction score
There is one thing (maybe more to come) MEDELI is lacking - there is no way to switch/edit voices in midi files to make playback sound better. Another point to mention, unfortunately, there is no decent review on Youtube made by professional keyboardists to showcase the full potential of this instrument.

There is another issue that some have discovered
Cannot play properly MIDI files that play well on Yamaha keyboards
These MIDI files sound terrible. My guess is voice mapping is not compatible causing this bad effect. With Grand Suite software, we should be able to remap voices, trouble is this software has a bug, it does not load MIDI file recorded on AKX-10 !!!

Other than that, I found that I can do almost anything I could do on Genos. Some exception: chord looper on Genos which I found pretty useless, I have better way to do this even on Tyros3 (pre-record accompaniment as an INTRO or ENDING in the song style), half bar fill which is only useful for 6-8 slowRock and Ballad styles. The AKX10 "style reset" button help in this case too.

Reaction score
From everything I have read, and everything I have watched on YouTube, etc...

It seems that Medeli really knocked the AKX10 hardware out of the park.

Great build quality overall...

And aesthetically the best looking arranger out there.

According to several people I have actually communicated with who own the AKX10 -

The keybed is better than the Yamaha PSR-SX700/900 - and on par or slightly above the Korg Pa700.

The buttons and control knobs are better than the Yamahas' (no mention of the Korgs')

And the touch screen is much better than the Yamahas' and, of course, the Korgs'.

The only slight negative are the voices/sounds - at their defaults they are not that good.

However, I was told by Timor (not sure if everyone knows who he is - he has the AKX10 and is making sound packs for it) that if you can manage the settings (not easy for everyone) on the AKX10 it can sound very good.

And, according to Medeli, they will be releasing a huge update in about two weeks to their OS that should take care of a lot of the concerns mentioned above.

The only real questions I have are the warranty and serviceability in the US - and I should know more about that soon.

Reaction score
Polo

Your comments still do not inspire me to consider any Medeli.

Korg Pa700, I had one, the cons with it are a keybed that sucks, very, very small memory available to load sound samples, and poor acoustic piano sounds. These are the reasons why I sold it.

So your comment about the Medeli keybed being only slightly better than a Korg is far from inspiring.

To me it resolves down to local availability and support, if there is none then is it not a waste of time even considering one?

I do hope that they get their act together for there is only Korg and Yamaha effectively in the market and competition is most definitely needed.

Reaction score
Polo

Your comments still do not inspire me to consider any Medeli.

Korg Pa700, I had one, the cons with it are a keybed that sucks, very, very small memory available to load sound samples, and poor acoustic piano sounds. These are the reasons why I sold it.

So your comment about the Medeli keybed being only slightly better than a Korg is far from inspiring.

To me it resolves down to local availability and support, if there is none then is it not a waste of time even considering one?

I do hope that they get their act together for there is only Korg and Yamaha effectively in the market and competition is most definitely needed.
I am not trying to convince you into doing anything...

As far as the AKX10's keybed being on par or slightly better than the Korg Pa700... you do realize that the AKX10 is $700 and the Pa700 is nearly three times as much at almost $2,000?

No need for a response. :)

Reaction score
Most opinions about AKX10 on this forum are simply to show how buyers feel about this arranger keyboard compared to Yamaha keyboards, not to convince other to buy it.

I can only say: no Yamaha, KORG keyboard at this price range matches the Medeli AKX10.

I bought an SX-600 and had to return it within 3 weeks, not happy with the tiny screen, 4 arrow buttons for navigation, so so voices quality. Medeli voices are not better than SX600 but it has large touch screen, much better navigation and ready for future upgrades for bug fix, new features, etc...

Regarding warranty, I contact Medeli and the answer is "1 year warranty from date of purchase".
In case of need, contact them and they will send a tag so one can ship the keyboard back for repair (somewhere in Los Angeles area, I live in near San Francisco).
No one knows if Medeli will honor this warranty, crossing my fingers that I don't have to use it.

Reaction score
I just don't understand people who have no interest in buying the AKX10 coming in this thread and banging on it...

I don't go into threads of instruments I am not interested in buying and keep posting negative comments - maybe its just me. :)

I looked at the Yamaha SX700 and SX900 - the SX600 was out because of the small non-touch screen, etc.

I didn't like the small buttons on the upper-half of the keyboard - not only are they small, but they are not very well marked, etc.

According to a YouTube video (posted below) the AKX10 and the SX600/SX700 have the same voices/sounds - not sure if Medeli purchased them from Yamaha or... The SX900 has much better sounds.

The AKX10 has 80W of power into 4 separate amped speakers - the SX600/SX700 has only 30W into 2 amped 4 speakers - and the SX900 has 50W into 4 separate amped speakers

Reaction score
I just don't understand people who have no interest in buying the AKX10 coming in this thread and banging on it...

I don't go into threads of instruments I am not interested in buying and keep posting negative comments - maybe its just me. :)

I looked at the Yamaha SX700 and SX900 - the SX600 was out because of the small non-touch screen, etc.

I didn't like the small buttons on the upper-half of the keyboard - not only are they small, but they are not very well marked, etc.

According to a YouTube video (posted below) the AKX10 and the SX600/SX700 have the same voices/sounds - not sure if Medeli purchased them from Yamaha or... The SX900 has much better sounds.

The AKX10 has 80W of power into 4 separate amped speakers - the SX600/SX700 has only 30W into 2 amped 4 speakers - and the SX900 has 50W into 4 separate amped speakers

Not sure I agree with that based on listening to the sounds in the video.

The Yamaha sounds had the edge, being slightly brighter than the Medeli to my ears. I am no Yamaha fanboy and generally find their brass over bright.

The Medeli sounds slightly dull and muted, hopefully there is an Eq adjustment available, what I have heard in this and other videos does give the impression that vfm it is right there.

At its price point there is probably no doubt that it is a better all rounder than what limited competition there is, ie Yamaha SX600 and old Korg Pa600 and 300 models.

The AKX10 is a massive leap in quality and cost over prior Medeli products and caution and due diligence by buyers is probably a wise set of actions.

To me it is the lack of a dealership network that is presently a turn off for me. I am used to going into one of many Music Stores and physically playing keyboards that I am interested in. I took a punt with what I currently have by buying it mail order and now I sort of regret it. I like the sounds and keybed feel but the OS is rubbish, had I been able to try it first I would not have bought it. Hence my guarded thoughts and comments.

Fingers crossed Medeli get their act together.

Reaction score
Looking at more YouTube videos on the AKX10...

The stock sounds/voices, etc. are really... not good... :(

They all seem flat, two-dimensional, etc...

According to Timor, they can be made to sound "really good" by using the editing functions - but that is way beyond what I know how to do.

I was watching a video showing how you can edit a sound on the AKX10 - very in-depth.

Reaction score
Maybe ktnwin2022 can chime in... or another owner, etc...

But, when watching Jeremy See's very thorough YouTube video of the AKX10 - the sounds/voices are very acceptable (for its price point)...

In the video above - the keyboard sounds decidedly different - flat, lifeless, etc...

Which is the real sound...? lol

Did Jeremy See go in and edit the sounds to make the sounds more acceptable... you think...?

Reaction score
"But, when watching Jeremy See's very thorough YouTube video of the AKX10 - the sounds/voices are very acceptable (for its price point)..."

The tricks for good sounding voices are:
1) use only the ones that sound good (strings, violin, trumpet, etc.. )
2) mix 2 or 3 together at different volume levels and octave settings. for example: Tenor sax sounds pretty bad, but when used with "soft strings", the two sound better, still not like Genos or KORG PA-1000.

So far, this approach works well for me

There is no point to use bad sounding ones as these will discourage users to play.
There are few other possibilities:
1) tweak voices to create user voices but I have not done that part yet.
2) get sample voices from good sounding keyboards, use Grand Suite software to create user voices, and a package with these voices to install as user package. There is a video about this on youtube. This is what I plan to do to get some Genos voices on AKX-10

Of course, there are ways to make a demo with only bad sounding voices and declare that the AKX-10 is no good. But we need to realize that even some Tyros3, Genos (I own both of them) voices are not that good. But they have plenty of good ones to choose.

I use the AKX-10 for gigs in small home parties, Tyros3 (and Genos) for larger gigs in big rooms (restaurant, stage, etc....).

Reaction score
"And aesthetically the best looking arranger out there."

I agreed with this statement. My wife and friends love the look of this keyboard, with most buttons having LEDs. And the blink light under the keyboard is quite entertaining when playing in low light environment. The build is solid.

Just pray for this to last long (key bed, buttons and electronics).

Reaction score
"But, when watching Jeremy See's very thorough YouTube video of the AKX10 - the sounds/voices are very acceptable (for its price point)..."

The tricks for good sounding voices are:
1) use only the ones that sound good (strings, violin, trumpet, etc.. )
2) mix 2 or 3 together at different volume levels and octave settings. for example: Tenor sax sounds pretty bad, but when used with "soft strings", the two sound better, still not like Genos or KORG PA-1000.

I was reading the manual and it looks like the easiest way to do this without going deep into editing, editing individual instruments, etc. is to use the global EQ setting.

There are a few different preset settings:

Classical
Rock
Pop
Dance
Flat

Or do your own manual settings instead of the presets.

And then maybe add a little reverb...

?

There are few other possibilities:
1) tweak voices to create user voices but I have not done that part yet.
2) get sample voices from good sounding keyboards, use Grand Suite software to create user voices, and a package with these voices to install as user package. There is a video about this on youtube. This is what I plan to do to get some Genos voices on AKX-10

I wonder if there is a way to set up a sound/voices sharing spot, etc.

Something like Yamaha's Soundmondo...

Maybe on here...?

Reaction score
I recently purchased AKX10 and having some issues of connecting the MIC. I used the Mogami cable and Shure dynamic mic. However, I cannot hear anything thru the speaker. Could anyone help me to resolve this concern? Thanks a lot!
I have the same problem..not happy 😞

Ask a Question