microSTATION helper.

Reaction score
Hello again Dan,

Hi Dan, thanks for responding ! When trying to create a drum track using the sequencer I understand as far as putting the first track of say bass drum but don't understand how to add more tracks like snare etc. I change the key to press but it doesn't change when I press the grid buttons ??? Once I get over this hurdle it will really open up the possibilities for this great little machine.

Thanks - Oldman

Reaction score
Hi Oldman.

If I understand well you try to create a track putting the drum elements step by step.
Step one:
rec the bass drum. If you need more accuracy,select the Quantization in the rec menu,using the arrow key until to see on the display TS: 4/4 Q:HI>. (TS=time signature Q= quantize or resolution). Change the resolution from HI to value as you need.
Step two: go up step in the rec menu when you see !: 100.00 M:OVW (100.00 is tempo,M is rec mode, OVW is overwrite).
change the OVW to OVD (overdub). MPI and API is manual punch in and auto punch in.
Now you can add the snare,HH, cymbals ,toms, in the same track. You have one UNDO available for last recording, pressing the Compare button.
If you need to delete all events on this track,put the OVW mode in the rec menu. You will erase everything from the start measure to end of song .
I wish you success!

Dan

Reaction score
Hi Dan, I'm truly grateful for your time and effort in responding but your answer has made me realise that Korg's claim that this was a beginner's workstation was, let's say misplaced. It's not just me as I have seen a few, more experienced guys on the web who own Electribes etc. expressing their disappointment at the slow progress they are making with getting to grips with even basic aspects of the machine.

I'll just have to be content using the the preset voices !

With kind regards an "Oldman"

Reaction score
Hello Dan,

I just came across this forum and registered. Thank you for creating this forum for microSTATION users. I have had a microSTATION for about 3 months and really enjoy it. I have only been using it in live performance sitting on top of my Hammond XK3. But now I have decided to actually learn how to use the other features, specifically the sequencer. I am having a problem with the track buttons locking up. I contacted Korg support in the U.S. and they suggested I unplug any pedals and MIDI cables, re-initialize the microSTATION, and then see if that corrects the problem. I did as they said, but still have the same problem, even worse.

Here is what happens;
Turn the instrument on, press Seq button, select a track (sometimes I cannot select any track other than the default track 16 and have to re-boot to correct). I then press Grid Seq and enter some drum notes using the Key button to select which drum sound will be used. Then when I exit Grid mode, sometimes I cannot select any other tracks, the 16 track buttons are locked up. If I press Track/Mute, I can select different tracks, so the buttons are functioning, but when I press Track/Mute again in order to select a new track, again the buttons are locked up.

Sorry for writing such a long post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Dave

Reaction score
Hello Dan,

I just came across this forum and registered. Thank you for creating this forum for microSTATION users. I have had a microSTATION for about 3 months and really enjoy it. I have only been using it in live performance sitting on top of my Hammond XK3. But now I have decided to actually learn how to use the other features, specifically the sequencer. I am having a problem with the track buttons locking up. I contacted Korg support in the U.S. and they suggested I unplug any pedals and MIDI cables, re-initialize the microSTATION, and then see if that corrects the problem. I did as they said, but still have the same problem, even worse.

Here is what happens;
Turn the instrument on, press Seq button, select a track (sometimes I cannot select any track other than the default track 16 and have to re-boot to correct). I then press Grid Seq and enter some drum notes using the Key button to select which drum sound will be used. Then when I exit Grid mode, sometimes I cannot select any other tracks, the 16 track buttons are locked up. If I press Track/Mute, I can select different tracks, so the buttons are functioning, but when I press Track/Mute again in order to select a new track, again the buttons are locked up.

Sorry for writing such a long post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Dave

Hello!

I tried several times in different ways to get to a track lock. Only time I got stuck was when I keep pressed a key.I think one of the key remain in note on.
Can be identified it using the editor or an external seq.

Try this and I'm looking for updates.

Best regards,

Dan

Reaction score
Hello!

I tried several times in different ways to get to a track lock. Only time I got stuck was when I keep pressed a key.I think one of the key remain in note on.
Can be identified it using the editor or an external seq.

Try this and I'm looking for updates.

Best regards,

Dan

Hello Dan,

Thank you so much for responding. I will give it a try with the editor and see if that will shed any light on the problem. I will also try to monitor the MIDI output with the MIDIox application, maybe that will show some problem.

Thanks again and best regards,

Dave

Reaction score
Thought I should make a final post regarding the above problem. There was definitely something wrong with the microSTATION I had so it has been exchanged for a new one, which is working just fine by the way.

Dan, thanks once again for trying to help. The microSTATION is a very cool little instrument and I'm happy that I can now use it to its fullest.

Best Regards,

Dave

Reaction score
Hi Dave!

If you change the unit is too better. Have right is a very cute gear and I don't have any problem with the minikeys. Some times I play the minikeys and standard keys in a same time. A minikeys offer a high speed solo technique.
I start to prepare a analog prog pack for microSTATION and I must find a solution to share this for all of you. I don' know;this forum have a upload option somewhere?

All the best.
danSTESCO

Reaction score
Microstation

I too am having problems with the timber/track buttons.
they worked last night and now they don't.
Is there any way to contact korg about this?

Reaction score
Never mind I just figured it out.
I don't know why but I have to have my pedal plugged in.
If I unplug it the track buttons stop working.

Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

Thank you for posting because it made me realize that I never came back to hear to post a follow-up. "shame on me"

Turns out there was nothing wrong with the original micro STATION that I had. The problem is a software issue that is in all of the units (unless there has been an update that I am unaware of). I did send my findings to Korg but never heard back.

The problem I was having described in my post above from 5 April 2011 is related to a damper pedal setting under Global Setting. When the pedal input type is set to Damper, the problem exists. By changing this setting to Switch and then assigning the switch to Damper, the problem was solved.

Dave

Reaction score
I am going to get a different pedal,one that is
normally open and closed when pushed.That way if the pedal ever goes bad during a gig I will still be able to get through the song without having to stop to change the pedal settings.As it is now if there is nothing plugged into the pedal jack it acts as if the pedal is depressed and the track button will not work.
Try changing tracks while you are stepping on the pedal I bet it doesn't work.

Reaction score
Greetings -- my first post. The group of 16 buttons on the microSTATION -- could they be assigned to anything external? For instance, to

*particular sounds in a software synthisizer

*stops/controls in Hauptwerk

*same on a modern MIDI-friendly church organ

Udi

Reaction score
Hi Dan Stesco,
I got a Korg Microstation and I cannot download the songs I saved (onto a SD card from the Microstation) to hear on my laptop. Formating problems? Do you have a better operation manual for the Korg Microstation?
Thank you in advance for your reply!
Regards
Udi

Reaction score
Hi Udi,

Your song is the SNG format. Is not like mp3 or wave and your laptop never be play a korg sng file. Your saved song can be load in the microSTATION unit and play with them.

Udi

Reaction score
Hi Dan Stesco,
thanks for your prompt reply. I really can save my song from the microStation on a SD card and hear but only on the microStation. What I want is to hear from the SD card and save on the PC. Is this mission impossible for Korg products?
Best regards
:)

Reaction score
Hi,
Is not impossible. But the microSTATION not have this ability . Workstation with sampler can do this. Kronos for example.
Try to record your song with the computer and save audio file.

Udi

Reaction score
Hi Dan Stesco,
thank you for the explanation. Is there a sampler to buy it and how can I record my song with the computer and to save it as audio file...
Regards

Ask a Question