MIDI/Guitar --> PC

Reaction score
Here's the case; I might be able to borrow our drummer's MIDI keyboard, so that I can practice a bit at home when my keyboard is at the rehearsal place (Well, I do have another keyboard, but it's amazingly pathetic, and it's best used as a table :p).
The problem is that the MIDI keyboard doesn't have USB, but only MIDI OUT, and my computer does not have MIDI IN, so I would need something there in between to make it all work.

So I thought, that if I need to buy that kind of thing, I could just as well buy something that allows me to connect my guitar to the computer too, while I'm at it.

So, some if there is anything that lets me do both things in one product, that would be really great, but any suggestion is welcome :)

Reaction score
There are a number of audio/MIDI->USB/FireWire interfaces around. Tascam and Edirol I think are the best known manufacturers, but you might not need all the features they provide (XLR mic, SPDIF etc). I'll post some more when I can think of them....

Reaction score
The products that I find on those sites really provides more than I need, which would probably mean that they cost more as well. (can't see any prices on those pages, though)
The descriptions are a bit unclear to me as well, so I can't really understand if they actually provide the feature I need either :p

But since I believe that you know what you're talking about, they probably do. But it would be best if I found something that doesn't do 45983745 things more than what I actually need...

Reaction score
Edirol UA-4FX is a cheap good option.

There are few interfaces out there that give you both Midi and audio connectivity at a decent budget.

Reaction score
I've got an Edirol UA-25, and think it's great. It probably doesn't do much more than you'd want (it does have XLR/1/4" TRS combination inputs that handle either type of input, and it has phantom power for mics that need it), but it's sometimes better to pick up a few extra features, without going overboard, than to get something really limited. I got mine on eBay about 1.5 years ago for something like $200; I bet you could find it cheaper now.

If you have a desktop with a PCI slot and aren't a gamer (so you don't care about having a game-quality soundcard), there are sound card options that can often be cheaper, although they don't always have MIDI inputs and outputs.

There are also simple USB interfaces that only let you get MIDI in and out of your computer. I've got the M-Audio Midisport 2x2 or something like that, and it performs well. There are also 1x1 units by M-Audio and others if you know you'll only ever want one connection. I have two keyboards, hence the 2x2.

Reaction score
Okey, it seems like those things did cost a bit more than I had expected o_O. The UA-25 that kanthos mentioned is a bit too expensive for my taste at the moment...

What would be the cheapest option? To buy the UA-4FX that satchmo suggested, or to buy a soundcard with a MIDI IN port? And could I just simply buy some kind of adapter for 1/4" to the computers input port, to record the guitar? Or would that damage any of the equipment? I'm pretty new to the recording parts of being a musician, as you might see :)

Reaction score
There are lots of MIDI to USB adapters out there I have a £2 one (with .5s latency...), but can basically pay as much as you like for one. You can get 1/4" 3.5mm adapters, but I'm not sure how good your guitar would sound as I've only done it with keyboards. It shouldn't damage anything if you're careful with levels.

Reaction score
There are lots of MIDI to USB adapters out there I have a £2 one (with .5s latency...), but can basically pay as much as you like for one. You can get 1/4" 3.5mm adapters, but I'm not sure how good your guitar would sound as I've only done it with keyboards. It shouldn't damage anything if you're careful with levels.

That's exactly the answer I was hoping for :D. I suppose I could live with the latency for a while, until I feel in need of an upgrade. I suppose I could find both of those adapters in any decent music store, right?

Reaction score
To be honest, I just got mine off ebay. Music store MIDI adapters will be more expensive but higher performance. The latency is starting to get on my nerves a bit - I've spent the weekend shifting notes around in Cubase...

Reaction score
Well, I already planned on going to a store sometime soon to try out the M50 a bit, and I think I could spend more than £2 if needed :p
I think that even if it will be more expensive than buying from ebay, it will still be cheaper than those Edirol products, so it will be worth it anyway.

Ask a Question