MIDI Message Recorder / Playback

Reaction score
I use a Yamaha MM6 with a Korg MicroKontrol, and have done for some time. It's a great setup and the Korg gives a lot of versatility when combined with the powerful engine of the MM6, but there is one glaring issue. Switching instruments via the Korg is a nightmare.

To change instruments I need to send three separate MIDI messages for each one I want to change. When I'm using multiple instruments this can take a considerable length of time, and there is a lot of scope for error. What I'm looking for is a solution to this (probably in the form of some additional hardware) that would let me record these series of instrument change messages and recall them all at once. Does anyone know if this is possible (without needing to connect to a laptop if possible).

AlxT

Reaction score
AlxT

When you say "multiple instruments", I am not certain if you are talking about actual multiple hardware devices (keyboards, tone modules, etc) or if you are talking about changing the "tones" just on the MM6 multiple times during a given song. If you are talking about multiple hardware devices, then those would probably be best managed with a laptop, but if you are talking about just changing the "tones" on the MM6, then see Pages 59-61 of the MM6 manual for the creation and recall of Performances (registrations) and Page 69 and 71 for the saving and loading of sets of 64 Performances in User Files to the USB Flash Drive and see if that suits your needs. These should allow you to change not only the "tones" but complete keyboard setups and recall them at the touch of a single button multiple times during a given song. You just do it from the front panel of the MM6, rather than from the microKontrol, which apparently is not working out very well for you. You would just need to maintain a hand written or printed set list to keep track of which Performances go with which songs, although there are a lot of folks that have relegated Performance (registration) management to their laptops or iPads. If you decide to go with Performances, be aware that Yamaha has provided you with a nice set of factory Performances in Banks 1 and 2. You can overwrite those if you want, but it would be best to back them up to the USB Flash Drive first, in case you ever have need of them in the future. Also, let me know if you decide to go this way, as there are several caveats to be aware of to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ted, thanks for your reply.

Apologies for the ambiguity - I did mean changing tones, not changing hardware instruments. However I think maybe I wasn't clear on exactly what my problem is.

I already use the performance banks to change tones on the Yamaha, but I am looking for a solution to changing the tone that the Korg keyboard plays. This is different to the tone(s) the Yamaha keyboard uses, and I can't find a way of doing this without sending a string of MIDI commands, hence why I thought looking for a piece of hardware that would store these messages and let me send them all at once would be ideal.

Ask a Question