Newbe needs advice on hooking up Korg M1 to Cakewalk Touch 6

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm really new with all of this, and haven't visited anything MIDI for years and years.
I'm trying to get back into this, and I have an old Korg M1 in great shape that I'm trying to connect via midi to Cakewalk Creative Touch 6 running on my Windows 8.1 laptop. The interface between the Korg and the PC is a Roland UM-ONE mk2.
I've followed the instructions that came with the UM-ONE and believe I have the MIDI connections hooked correctly. I can't get the Cakewalk software see the Korg M1.
I wondering if anyone has connected a Korg M1 to Creative Touch 6, how they did it and what definition files did they use?
I'm not afraid of doing the work, but I don't know where to start the setup. I'm also unclear on how to do some basic communication tests to just see if the PC finds the keyboard.
Thanks for any advice, help, and direction you can give me.
WSC

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all do you have the MIDI hooked up properly to your interface?

MIDI IN always connects to MIDI OUT and MIDI OUT always connects to MIDI IN.

If Cakewalk is not seeing your M1 in the MIDI Devices Menu try swapping the connectors (WITH THE POWER TURNED OFF)

After that you should be able to import the Korg INS file that ships with Cakewalk and select the M1 from the available synths. M1 is already included with the package.

Here's Cakewalk's INS FAQ. Give it a looksee and see if you've made any errors.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013272/Instrument-Definitions

If you still have any problems feel free to report back here.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I'm assuming that you have a USB to MIDI interface hooked up between the keyboard and the computer.

Most interfaces don't require drivers but yours may be different.

Easiest way to tell if it's recognized is to plug it in to the computer, go to device manager in the control panel and see if the device is connected without any problems or yellow triangles.

If it's recognized OK then make sure the MIDI IN cable is connect to OUT on the keyboard and vice versa.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just checked. The UM-ONE MK2 requires a proprietary driver.

Personally I say bring it back and get your money back for it and buy a standard USB MIDI Class Compliant interface off of Amazon for $4.

The $4 Chinese Amazon Whooperclanger will be automagically detected by your computer and require no additional drivers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...-10&keywords=usb+midi+interface&condition=new

They used to be $4 now they're $6. Looks like China is letting the Yuan appreciate these days.

Anyway, they're cheap and they work. Buy two just in case one doesn't work out of the box as Chinese Whooperclangers are often wont to do :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary. Been dealing with a mini-flood in my basement and now just getting to my email.
Thanks for all the advice. I think I have all the connections made correctly, but that could be the problem.
I'm going to stick with the Roland for a little bit more, as it's gotten good reviews, and I have the drivers installed correctly. The OS is recognizing the device, as is Cakewalk.
I'll re-setup my system tonight and verify the MIDI hookup and let you know what's up.
It may be that I need to abandon the Roland interface and go with the 'cheaper' device. If so I'll get what you recommend.
Thank you for all your good advice... I appreciate it!
Bill

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your flooding Bill. Sewer backup? That can get nasty.

Anyway, from what I've read online the Korg M1 is covered inside the Cakewalk Korg INS file that ships with all versions of Cakewalk these days.

If Cakewalk is seeing the interface that's as good as it gets.

From there you have to configure Cakewalk under the tools menu under assign instruments to assign the Korg M1 to your interface.

It won't automagically detect the M1 itself as such simply because it is old school MIDI which is not a plug n play device.

So at this point all you have to do is import the Korg.ins file in the tools menu and then assign all 16 channels of the interface to the M1 and it should start working then.

Gary

Ask a Question