NUMA Compact 2x Question

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought a NUMA Compact 2x and am wondering about three of the sounds. I was wondering about the Harpsicord, Clavinet and the Cambalo. I have noticed especially on the harps and clav that when I release the the keys the make a sound. No matter how long I hold the keys down when I release them they make a noise. It doesn't noise right to me. I was wondering if these sounds are supposed to do that. I have other electric keyboards with a clav or a harps and they don't make this sound. I don't think it's my playing technique because none of the other sounds on the NUMA do this. Could you please explain to me why this is happening.
I'm not a professional musician or an instrument expert but it doesn't seem like this "after sound" should be there. I don't like using these three sounds because of it. I looked at the "After Touch" setting, turned it off on these sounds, to try to see if I could get rid of this noise.
I play my M-Audio Prokeys 88 sx on the Clav sound and I don't here this noise. I have listened to harpsicord and clavinet music on YouTube and I don't hear them making this noise.
Could it be a problem with the keyboard? I just contacted Studiologic about so I haven't heard from them.
Thanks

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with aftertouch, which is something that lets you alter the sound after you play it by pressing the key harder. You're hearing release sounds, which are authentic, but Numa may have gone overboard on them for your tastes. Some keyboards that have release samples allow you to adjust them, I don't know whether the Numa does. You could see if sliders 5 and 9 make any difference (filter release and amplitude release respectively), but they're synth controls and I don't know whether or not the Numa makes use of those functions when playing these other sounds.

Check this video... when he's playing the black keyboard, it's a real clavinet (the red Nord is playing Kontakt samples, which has them as well). You'll hear release noises. They're most obvious when he holds a chord at the end of a section, and then releases all the keys at once, but once you "tune into" it, you can hear it in another spots as well.

Reaction score
Thanks anotherscott,

I see what you're saying in the video. I notice it the most when I hold a note on the 2x. I am working on playing them with more of a "stab" like touch, hit the note and release quickly. I tried the sliders. The first two were the only ones that did anything that I could tell. Putting them on full was like turning the tone knob all the way up on a guitar.
I think I will look for videos on how to play a harpsicord, the feel/touch in the hands.

Ask a Question