Pc3le6 "the blinking problem" - are all PC3le machines fated to die?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping you all might have some insight on this problem - so I got my Pc3le6 about nine months ago, and so far, it's spent over a month total of that time in the shop for one problem - "the blinking problem." Now, I don't want to condemn the whole LE series (or perhaps specifically the 6s), but despite everyone always saying that Kurzweils are built like tanks, I keep encountering this issue - i'll be playing along, and suddenly, the PC3le will freeze, blank screen, with all the button lights blinking randomly. Then, every time you turn on the machine after that, it simply freezes on the blank screen and blinking lights. This has been happening to other owners as well, see video:

I've been doing some research, and though there's very little info on it, it seems like MANY pc3le6 players have encountered this exact problem, and, no matter how many times they take it to the shop, the problem reoccurs. I've already had mine in the shop twice, and now the problem has begun again, for a third time, and I'M STILL UNDER MY ONE YEAR WARRANTY! At this point, I'm looking to probably get a refund from the factory, b/c three strikes in 9 months is just absolutely ridiculous. I was hoping some of you might have similar stories to help me understand what the hell is going on, and what other board I should invest in instead.
This really stinks...

A

Anon_TJ

I'm really stuck between the MOXF6: 999 Euros, PC3LE6: 688 Euros. Is there a huge difference between the two? I read all the specs, it's down to a personal preference I guess. Yamaha has the edge, but LE6 has the Fatar keybed and drum pads. Anyone here have experience with both units? LE6 is five years old technology but still sounds great, despite its 64 note polyphany. Can you imagine complaining about that ten years ago?

Fly in the ointment now. I hear a lot of PC3LE series units have a serious power supply problem, some design flaw, the "blinking lights of death" freeze up, documented now. Last thing I want is to send a PCLE back for repair just after the warranty expires, and wake up to a 300 Euro shipping/repair bill, multiplied by two by the leaden weight of the things. This is a serious PR/Sales issue for Kurzweil, who usually produce rock solid keyboards (Rick Wright, Pink Floyd, swore by them, to name one). Someone said all their keyboards are manufactured in China now, where there are probably quality control issues. In this case it's the power supply.

Seems there is never a workstation that satisfies everyone's needs. The other main thing for me is, how does the MOXF6 keybed feel? I don't live near a big town to try one. I don't want some cheesy keybed that feels like my son's 100 dollar Casio. That said, I see the Casio Privia PX-5S at 899 Euros, which could be a real heavyweight contender and has the hex layers and bouncy piano keys (they really bounce in the videos!). Another complication in the synth choice algorithm!

Casio are trying to blur the distinction between workstation/synths/stage pianos. Great keybed though, from the reviews I read. Expect some earth tremors from Casio keyboards in the next few years...The old dinosaurs (Yamaha, Roland, Korg) just keep recycling worn out, but proven, technology. They are just counting on the next generation of keyboard players to discover their old technologies as something completely new. A lot of detractors here own the top of the range keyboards, but why belittle all the newcomers who find these entry level keyboards their springboard to maybe a new career? Still, these are just market forces at work, but I expected better from Yamaha, who produced the CS-80 and DX-7. Let's face it though, is there really any new threshold to cross? What possible new sounds and approaches are possible? Even so, Casio is in a position to really rock the boat. Thanks for any advice you can give in helping me decide.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Supposedly the PC3LE problem has been fixed with later production units. You can check with Kurzweil to find out which manufacturing dates/serial numbers were affacted before you lay your money down.

If you're still unsure, check if your vendor offers an extended warranty.

If you can add a 3 year warranty for $100 then you'd be good to go even if it is an older unit that dies someday.

Gary

A

Anon_TJ

Supposedly the PC3LE problem has been fixed with later production units. You can check with Kurzweil to find out which manufacturing dates/serial numbers were affacted before you lay your money down.

If you're still unsure, check if your vendor offers an extended warranty.

If you can add a 3 year warranty for $100 then you'd be good to go even if it is an older unit that dies someday.

Gary
Thanks for your valuable advice Gary. I'll definitely check that the fix has been applied. I'm hoping to get a good ten years use out of it. The shop I'm buying from does have a 3 year extended warranty, so if anything does go wrong, hopefully it will be within that warranty period.

Cheers

Tim

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping you all might have some insight on this problem - so I got my Pc3le6 about nine months ago, and so far, it's spent over a month total of that time in the shop for one problem - "the blinking problem." Now, I don't want to condemn the whole LE series (or perhaps specifically the 6s), but despite everyone always saying that Kurzweils are built like tanks, I keep encountering this issue - i'll be playing along, and suddenly, the PC3le will freeze, blank screen, with all the button lights blinking randomly. Then, every time you turn on the machine after that, it simply freezes on the blank screen and blinking lights. This has been happening to other owners as well, see video:

I've been doing some research, and though there's very little info on it, it seems like MANY pc3le6 players have encountered this exact problem, and, no matter how many times they take it to the shop, the problem reoccurs. I've already had mine in the shop twice, and now the problem has begun again, for a third time, and I'M STILL UNDER MY ONE YEAR WARRANTY! At this point, I'm looking to probably get a refund from the factory, b/c three strikes in 9 months is just absolutely ridiculous. I was hoping some of you might have similar stories to help me understand what the hell is going on, and what other board I should invest in instead.
This really stinks...

I'm a victim of this same issue. My PC3LE6 pulled this stunt on me right in the middle of a gig a few weeks ago. To say I was furious is an understatement. It is now sitting in the repair shop getting fixed. I can assure you that when I get it back it's going to stay at my rehearsal space. I don't care if the repairs are permanent and the problem will not occur again. I will NEVER use this keyboard on a live gig again. And I will never buy another Kurzweil product again. I'm sticking with Roland and Yamaha. Hell, my Casio keyboards have been workhorses over the years. They never once let me down.

Reaction score
I must admit my Kurzweil (SP4-7) is not blessed with fantastic reliability either. Although I am comparing it to my bullet-proof Yamaha and Korgs. Nothing like the frustration that PC3LE6 owners seem to be experiencing, however.

However it sounds great, is ridiculously easy to use, and has a great action for a semi-weighted. So I'm not going to bag it, and I still love gigging with it.

A tip - I always take a spare 'board to gigs in case one goes down. It can happen to anyone sadly - it famously happened to Jorden Rudess' Fantom G8 during a LTE gig. He jumped on the phone to Roland mid-gig (I guess you can do that when you're Jordan Rudess) while the rest of the band kept playing, and still couldn't get the thing fixed.

I guess another tip for anyone else reading this forum would be to steer clear of the PC3LE6. Clearly a lemon, based on the copious internet anger about it.

Reaction score
I must admit my Kurzweil (SP4-7) is not blessed with fantastic reliability either. Although I am comparing it to my bullet-proof Yamaha and Korgs. Nothing like the frustration that PC3LE6 owners seem to be experiencing, however.

However it sounds great, is ridiculously easy to use, and has a great action for a semi-weighted. So I'm not going to bag it, and I still love gigging with it.

A tip - I always take a spare 'board to gigs in case one goes down. It can happen to anyone sadly - it famously happened to Jorden Rudess' Fantom G8 during a LTE gig. He jumped on the phone to Roland mid-gig (I guess you can do that when you're Jordan Rudess) while the rest of the band kept playing, and still couldn't get the thing fixed.

I guess another tip for anyone else reading this forum would be to steer clear of the PC3LE6. Clearly a lemon, based on the copious internet anger about it.

Luckily I always play with 2 'boards so I wasn't totally hosed. But there were some songs we couldn't do because I didn't have the sounds available with the Kurzweil being dead.

Reaction score
I will NEVER use this keyboard on a live gig again. And I will never buy another Kurzweil product again. I'm sticking with Roland and Yamaha. Hell, my Casio keyboards have been workhorses over the years. They never once let me down.
You make it sound as though it is forbidden for k/b's to break. In reality electronics do breakdown. So what happens if your Korg and Yamaha break, what are you going to take to the gig? Or is it ok for them to breakdown but not the Kurz?

Reaction score
You make it sound as though it is forbidden for k/b's to break. In reality electronics do breakdown. So what happens if your Korg and Yamaha break, what are you going to take to the gig? Or is it ok for them to breakdown but not the Kurz?

In 25 years of playing in bands I've never, ever, had a keyboard quit on me in the middle of a gig. I've used Roland, Casio, Yamaha, Alesis, Hammond ... Never once had an issue with any of them.

Reaction score
In 25 years of playing in bands I've never, ever, had a keyboard quit on me in the middle of a gig. I've used Roland, Casio, Yamaha, Alesis, Hammond ... Never once had an issue with any of them.

It is unusual - I've never had a 'board go down (including my Kurz) in the middle of a gig either. But electronic gear DOES fail from time to time, be it keyboards, your smartphone or your home computer.

Definitely good to have a redundancy plan in place when people are paying to see you play. If for nothing else other than the peace of mind that your show won't be ruined should the unexpected occur.

Reaction score
It is unusual - I've never had a 'board go down (including my Kurz) in the middle of a gig either. But electronic gear DOES fail from time to time, be it keyboards, your smartphone or your home computer.

Definitely good to have a redundancy plan in place when people are paying to see you play. If for nothing else other than the peace of mind that your show won't be ruined should the unexpected occur.

I agree having a backup plan is always a good idea, which is partly why I play with 2 keyboards. I don't think I'd be so upset if this was an isolated incident. Like you said, electronics can fail at any time. But given that people everywhere have experienced this same exact issue with their PC3LE leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I do like a lot of the sounds on the Kurzweil. Not a fan of how heavy these beasts are, though.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you dig deeply enough, every manufacturer has produced its share of lemons. Regardless of whether it's keyweights dropping off of Rolands and Yamahas or mediocre Korgs or blink of death Kurzweils.

The truth is when you buy the latest and greatest product from any manufacturer you are essentially signing up to become a beta tester for various bug fixes, firmware updates, and potentially catastrophic failures.

Until a specific model has a proven track record, it will always be a potential disaster waiting to happen and gearheaded idiots that we are, we are always buying the latest and greatest in pursuit of some must-have feature.

On the other hand when it comes to supporting a product, I have to say that Kurzweil and Casio are light years beyond Korg and Yamaha and probably Roland as well.

I'm extremely happy with my PC3K and my XW-P1 and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a future keyboard from either of these guys while the rest of the big three not so much :p

Gary ;)

Ask a Question