Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This thing showed up in my inbox today and I'm trying to figure out if this a boon to mankind or another excuse to sterilize all DJ's at birth?

It's got honest to gosh MIDI ports and I THINK you can hook up a MIDI controller and use it as a module/drum machine/groove box/sampler but so far I ain't sure.

http://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product/production/toraiz-sp-16/black/overview/

All the demos I can find are of DJ types spinning pseudo platters and stabbing at buttons and knobs but I haven't seen anyone demo a keyboard with it yet.

What's your opinion of this thing? It costs as much as a Korg Krome 88 so I ain't all that impressed by it and to be honest I think a Behringer Deepmind 12 is still a more likely option for my money.

But what do you all think? Is this the next generation of MIDI module or is it just some whored up successor to the standard drum machine?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I might have an opinion if he played some Sabbath or Doris Day on it :)

Seriously, I think I need something to play creative drummer for my originals. I have absolutely no idea how to test or create rythmn tracks with original key/guitar tracks. Would something in this category work? Something much cheaper or maybe even what I had if I knew how to do it?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've got an Alesis SR-18 I picked up 5 years ago for about $170 and recently I picked up a Roland Boss DR-660 used for $300 CDN.

Between the two of them I have almost a thousand canned beats and bass lines for all the old standards as well as all the standard 4/4 Rock beats, etc. and they're both programmable with user beats and bass lines so I can't see them ever becoming obsolete on me. The best thing is that they don't have a lot of EDM garbage on them and they have a manageable number of buttons to learn.

Even better. I can turn a typical Latin samba beat or a beguine or a waltz into a techno beat just by using their MIDI ports to drive the electronic kits and synths in my keyboards.

Believe me, with the right routing software and mixing on your computer you can make Yankee Doodle Dandy sound like Nine Inch Nails man :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, whenever I feel bored with the drum boxes I just edit my drum beats by hand in the piano roll notation on my Cakewalk Software. Simple enough. Edit a few bars, copy and paste with repeat 6 or 8 times and repeat for the bridge and the chorus and repeat again for the ending.

Honestly it takes like ten minutes to edit a decent drum track by hand. And you can get some crazy fast paradiddles and syncopation using 64th notes! Add some swing with the sequencer and you'd swear Neil Pert was doing the drumming. ;)

Q: How many drummers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. They have machines that do that nowadays :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Q: How many drummers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. They have machines that do that nowadays :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Unless some obscure tribal warrior drummer comes out of the jungle and takes over the whole world because of some ancient knowledge we missed? :)

Reaction score
Expanded meaning to "different drum?" :)
Now you guys, and myself, got me thinking of sublimnal hybrid ancient drum warfare conspiracies going on all over the place behind the scenes controlling our governments and candy sales. :D

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
This thing showed up in my inbox today and I'm trying to figure out if this a boon to mankind or another excuse to sterilize all DJ's at birth?

Why be so kind?
Why not just STRANGLE them all at birth?

It's got honest to gosh MIDI ports and I THINK you can hook up a MIDI controller and use it as a module/drum machine/groove box/sampler but so far I ain't sure.

All the demos I can find are of DJ types spinning pseudo platters and stabbing at buttons and knobs but I haven't seen anyone demo a keyboard with it yet.

What's your opinion of this thing? It costs as much as a Korg Krome 88 so I ain't all that impressed by it and to be honest I think a Behringer Deepmind 12 is still a more likely option for my money.

But what do you all think? Is this the next generation of MIDI module or is it just some whored up successor to the standard drum machine?

This is a SERIOUS advance for the human race.
It allows people without any musical talent whatsoever to pretend that they are the next (insert appropriate personal musical hero(ine) here) superstar.

A. Just some whored up successor to the standard drum machine.

John.

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
Wasn't he trying to do some ancient tribal warfare type drumming? ;)
He spent some time in Africa learning from various ethnic groups out there.
He now lives in South Africa, I believe. (?)
I take it you know of Cream?

Reaction score
Why do people always try to convince me that my schizo paranoia is actually truth? :D:D:confused:.
No really, it was a joke without knowingly implying anything. But yes, I looked him up even before you said anything and it did also cause me to remember a standard I wanted to make for myself that I totally forgot. Yes, I knew of Cream very well but I didn't remember his name. I probably know some of his other stuff too. If we wanted to really go to the origins of ethnic tribal drums into Celtic culture, Elvis would at least be a big landmark. I personally do not believe Celtics even used drums much. I know for a fact that there is indeed a conspiracy to rid the world of Celtic ethnicity and to devalue and lose their history. Teaching Celtc identity is a much bigger agenda for me than music in general and that is indeed what I want to ultimately do in music. That is actually a part of my "great musical alchemy" idea I alluded to elsewhere.
But again, even with that, it was a joke and I really was not knowingly implying or taking a jab at anything except maybe wild conspiracy theorists who take truth to the insane and ruin it.

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
You would have enjoyed talking to my father-in-law (sadly now deceased), he was a professor of Celtology(?) at Bonn university.
Something of a worldwide authority I understand. His name was Karl Horst Schmidt.
Me? I'm clueless on the subject I'm afraid.

And concerning the schizo paranoia? Don't worry about it, I assure you you're not alone.;):(:confused:

Reaction score
And concerning the schizo paranoia? Don't worry about it, I assure you you're not alone.;):(:confused:
I was kidding on that too, I HOPE :eek:
I have however known several people who have been diagnosed as such and similar and it's a very sad thing. Usually just being their friend and helping them sort things out and even joking with them about going too far can help. I firmly believe it all starts because truth is a very lonely place and they do indeed see truths that many ignore.

Reaction score
You would have enjoyed talking to my father-in-law (sadly now deceased), he was a professor of Celtology(?) at Bonn university.
Something of a worldwide authority I understand. His name was Karl Horst Schmidt.
Me? I'm clueless on the subject I'm afraid.

WOW!! Famous and accomplished man and from what I saw so far yes I absolutely would have enjoyed talking to him and his stuff may add a lot to what I already know. I do have a speciality within that specialty and I wonder if he touches on it? I intend to look that's for sure!

Reaction score
A sad thing indeed.
What is the joke? "Just because you're not paranoid it doesn't mean that people aren't gunning for you!"
Bipolar can be equally problematical.
I believe they are mostly all related, but here we go again, and now you have to be nearing the threshold of disbelief because I'm going to tell you that I actually have a hidden but formal biochemical theory from 1979 which proves it imo, among MUCH bigger things. The psych and neurochemical fields have still yet grasp it but they are beating all around it. I actually don't want them to know. They don't deserve to know and they would just use it for evil. I will however say that treatment of mental disorders with drugs would be seen as more ignorant than lobotomy in light of the knowledge I speak of.

Last edited:

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
Indeed a great man in his discipline. We had many interesting talks on the subject of languages.
I felt greatly honoured when he asked me to check the English of some article he'd written. It was often very difficult to understand what it was he was writing about though.
On a more personal level he and his wife made me most welcome when I moved to Germany many years back. They are both sadly missed.
Now I've returned to the UK with my wife, his daughter.

He was a philologist looking primarily at the derivation of languages.
He edited the German publication Celtische Zeitschrifft (I think that's correct) for many years.
He had, would you believe, four doctorates! Three of course were honorary.
Sadly, since his departure, Bonn university has had to close his department. There was nobody to follow in his footsteps.

Ah, well.

Reaction score
I have some very strong opinions on the origins of Celtic language and migrations in general and I strongly disagree with certain recent distortions (which I consider deliberate) so I hope he and I are on the same page. :) I will check him out.

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can add any more to the discourse.
My knowledge in this area is very limited.
All I can say is that I understand his work is highly respected by the academic community, both in Ireland and in other lands.
As far as I know it was all very thoroughly researched with hard evidence supporting his conclusions.
But I'm a technologist not a philologist.

Ask a Question