Question For Those Who Have Gone Before Me

Reaction score
As a "beginning intermediate" player learning jazz piano solos, I have come across the following dilemma. I find myself struggling with 16th-note runs with the right hand & accompanying chords with the left hand. If I try to play all of the notes perfectly, I lose the tempo. If I try to maintain the tempo, I invariably hit some wrong notes. I have tried to slow down the tempo in my practice. This certainly helps. However, as soon as I play the correct tempo, the mistakes return. The question is: Should I practice at the correct tempo & accept the inevitable mistakes or strive for zero mistakes at the expense of tempo? Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Start with getting the harmony/chords under hand on your left hand. Keep working on that until to can play the chords without any gaps or goofs. Then bring the left hand up to tempo gradually.

Then play the melody with the right hand until you can play it accurately without gaps or woops. Then gradually bring the melody up to tempo BUT take care not to become mechanical. Listen to how the song us sung by various vocalist. Try to play the melody as it were being sung.

Now that you have both chords and melody it's time to blend them..slowly at first then gradually move the tempo to performance level.

Reaction score
When I still played the melody I actually practiced untill I was able to play it. Never changed the tempo to lower settings since this will not help at all in my opinion: you learn to play it in slower tempo...
Make a mistake? Start again.
Many will say: keep on playing and yes, when you perform for a public its best to just keep on playing. I on the other hand,when I practiced, and still added a melody to my chords started all over when I played one mistake.
Practice makes perfect. Each person has to find his or her way but in the end this worked best for me.

What is also a good way is to just play the part you make a mistake in without the style over and over again, a few times in a row, even on a higher tempo then which is needed. Play it untill its right. Then start all over again with style. Many times your memory will have automated the process you made mistake in and the mistake is gone. It helped me.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All it boils down to is how many hours do you practice per week and how badly do you want it.

Ask a Question