Roland FP-E50 and Korg Liano

Reaction score
Quick question : I recently bought a Roland FP-E50, which only has USB midi (no 5-pin) ; I also have a Korg Liano. Again, no 5-pin, only USB midi.

Both these boards have built-in speakers, with Audio and MIDI over USB.
I realize I cannot connect these two in the traditional way (MIDI OUT on the Liano to MIDI IN on the FP-E50) and I cannot simply connect them with a USB cable. So I will have to route the MIDI using an interface or a computer.

Simply put : how do I do this ? I have a Mac, a Scarlet 4i4 interface, and iLoud Micro monitors. What I would like to do is to be able to play the sounds from the Roland on the Liano (second tier). When connected to the computer, I would like to be able to use the iLoud speakers, my headphones (both of which are connected to my Scarlett 4i4), and if possible, be able to used the built-in speakers of both the Korg and the Roland when needed.

I have connected both the Roland and Korg keyboards to a USB hub that is connected to my computer. I see both keyboards in the MIDI control center of the Mac. But I'm a bit lost as to what to do next. I won't be using a DAW.

Don't know if this kind of setup is at all possible...

Reaction score
I have connected both the Roland and Korg keyboards to a USB hub that is connected to my computer. I see both keyboards in the MIDI control center of the Mac. But I'm a bit lost as to what to do next. I won't be using a DAW.
You don't need a DAW, but you do need to configure something to route MIDI from one of the external devices to the other (e.g. the Roland and the Korg). I haven't done this myself, but If you haven't already, I think I would start here:

"To specify the connection between MIDI devices, drag the output or input connectors above the device icon to the corresponding connector on the other device icon."

The other thing that comes to mind is software like Camelot Pro (try the free version at https://audiomodeling.com/camelot/try-buy/ )

Reaction score
I’ve decided it’s too much hassle, putting the computer into the mix again. I want to play and noodle the ‘old skool’ way so I’ve ordered a Roland Go Keys to use as a second tier for my FP-E50.

Plent of sounds (about 500 of them, some of them GM2 but also a whole lot of sounds coming from the Juno DS, AFAIK.
Seen some very promising Youtube videos.

This guy (love his channel) almost makes it sound professional…
It helps if you speak Italian but you can always turn on subtitles :D

Anyway, for the price, I doubt I’ll be disappointed. ;)

Reaction score
I’ve decided it’s too much hassle, putting the computer into the mix again

There are other ways to connect the LIano to the FP-E50, without using a computer. You can use a pair of USB-to-MIDI adapters to give them 5-pin MIDI ports. I think you can use a pair of these USB-to-bluetooth adapters to have them communicate wirelessly. You can connect the two keyboards to an iPhone or iPad and use an app like iMidiPatchbay (or the aforementioned Camelot Pro which is also available on iPad, but not iPhone)... these will typically require you connect the i-device to a USB hub, though CME also makes devices that should let you do this wirelessly via bluetooth. There's possibly also the MuMIDI HubLink but I don't know if it's actually available yet.

Reaction score
Don’t want to use adapters/boxes dangling from the back of the instrument, in which case only 5-pin Midi to 5-pin Midi would be acceptable.
As I said, it’s just for a bit of fun noodling and I’ll have that with these separate boards. All I need is a 3.5 mini jack cable to run the sound from the Go keys into the aux input on the FP-E50. That way I can use my headphones in the FP and hear the Go Keys simultaneously, the old-fashioned way :)

Reaction score
Just received the Roland Go:Keys.

I have to admit, for this kind of money, this is one great piece of kit. The keybed/action alone puts other 'affordable' synths to shame (compared to this, the keybeds of the Kross 2 61 and MX61 feel like utter, utter crap).
Sounds are great, too. Not much in the way of editing put that's not the point here.

Suffice to say, for 269 euros, I'm chuffed ;)

Reaction score
All I need is a 3.5 mini jack cable to run the sound from the Go keys into the aux input on the FP-E50. That way I can use my headphones in the FP and hear the Go Keys simultaneously, the old-fashioned way :)
Wouldn't that same solution work with the Liano? Did you switch to the Go Keys just to get more variety of sounds from your second keyboard?

Just received the Roland Go:Keys.

I have to admit, for this kind of money, this is one great piece of kit. The keybed/action alone puts other 'affordable' synths to shame (compared to this, the keybeds of the Kross 2 61 and MX61 feel like utter, utter crap).
How would you compare the action of the Go Keys to the Liano?

Reaction score
Wouldn't that same solution work with the Liano? Did you switch to the Go Keys just to get more variety of sounds from your second keyboard?

Yes, it would have worked but as I'm not using 5-pin MIDI to connect the 2 boards and I don't want to put a computer (nor an ipad) in the mix, I needed a board that had enough bread and butter sounds on its own. With about 500, the Go:Keys has got me covered (the Liano only has about 10 sounds)...

How would you compare the action of the Go Keys to the Liano?

The Liano has Korg's LS action, supposedly semi-weighted, same action that was in the Kronos LS, but to me it feels a lot lighter than the action in the Go:Keys which truly feel semi-weighted (and maybe a tiny bit on the heavy side of semi-weighted). This can be a good or bad thing and it depends on personal preference but that's my feeling about the actions.

Both very nice to play, Liano more towards the light side of semi-weighted, Go:Keys the other side. With neither keybed offering the feeling of either a synth action of weighted action. If that makes any sense... :)

Reaction score
Are you serious????

The Go Keys is a piece of junk.

Its the modern equivalent to a Bontempi kids keyboard from the 80’s.

Now you’re seriously exagerating.
Not worth arguing… Consider the price, which for this board, is incredible value…

I like the action, but then again, I’m not the expert you are…

Ask a Question