Converting arranger styles (drum patterns) - Korg, Roland

Reaction score
I am wondering about the possibility of taking styles from a Korg arranger and using them in a Roland arranger (actually, all I care about are the drum parts, not the other instrumentation). Ideally, it would be nice to convert all the drum variations of a particular style and keep them together as a set... but if each pattern has to be converted individually (with the set combinations "reassembled" on the other side) that would be okay too. Is this feasible? I've read about a program called EMC Styleworks that sounds like it would work for this, but apparently it's no longer available. Is there any other program to do this kind of conversion? Or can it be done manually, for example, by exporting MIDI out of one board, importing to another, and somehow brining those MIDI snippets into a style to be looped and invoked as needed?

Reaction score
Take a look at korgpamanager

It has been around for quite a while and has many permutations in its feature list, plus it has been updated to cater fir the Pa5X so should be OK as long as it does what you want.

It feature list says it has “Imports/Exports from Style & Pads to MIDI”.

And, it has a 14 day free trial so worth a punt.

You may also take a look over at the Korg Forums, there are a few guys from different counties who frequent the Forum that are very knowledgable on the Pa systems.

Reaction score
korgpamanager looks interesting, even though it is Windows only (as was EMC Styleworks, as it turns out), which is not ideal, as I don't regularly use a Windows machine.

But I also need to look into what to do on the Roland side. The fact that korgpamanager can export a Style to MIDI is interesting, so that leaves me with the question of whether Roland can import that MIDI to turn it back into a Style (or what Roland would call a Rhythm). I did find this video that shows that the Korg does have that feature, apparently even without korgpamanager, it can import a MIDI file and turn it into a Style (though I imagine it's simpler to do with the software). I'd need to see if the Roland can do the same.

(And if the PA1000 can similarly export a Style to MIDI even without korgpamanager--the same way it can do with importing--maybe no software is needed at all! Though again, even if it could, the software might make it simpler.)

Ask a Question