Roland FP-E50 seems like fun !

Reaction score
Been enjoying my Kawai ES110 for a long time but I've been on the lookout for quite some time for something that could offer more or less the same pianistic feel as the ES110 but being a lot more versatile and 'fun' in the process.

And I think I've found it in the Roland FP-E50. I briefly tried in the store and I already knew the PHA4 action was good, but I'll have to discover what this instrument has to offer by myself. Thankfully, the arranger part is 'up to date' and offers a lot more than the traditional, dare I say 'corny', Bossa Nova and the likes (not that there's actually anything wrong with the 'old' styles, mind you).
I have read and watched tons of reviews and all are very positive. Have looked at the competition from Yamaha (DGX670 with GHS) and Korg (XE20 with NH) but unfortunately, those key actions don't come close to the PHA4 from Roland (on a pianistic level). It's being delivered tomorrow so I'll post my findings ;)

So, I'll probably have no more need for my ES110, and I'll be selling my MIDI controllers and all the rest of it as well, and I'll try and see if I can sell/transfer my DAW licences to someone else. Haven't touched these things in ages, having only played my CA58 (and the ES110 a bit) over the past few months ; making music in a DAW on a computer somehow feels a bit 'soulless' to me in the end, not to mention boring, really, but that's my personal opinion.

Might move out of my apartment to a bigger house and my ultimate dream is to go back to a full acoustic again. That Steinway Grand is probably going to have to be put on hold indefinitely (probably something for another lifetime) but something more attainable will more than likely be coming my way in the not too distant future.

Anyway, the FP-E50 is meant to offer me the 'fun factor' that my 'studio' setup failed to do. Fingers crossed :D

Reaction score
Must admit, I like the look of those myself.

We will be calling in at PMT in Manchester to take a look at one.

If you remember from prior posts I do rate the PH4 action as the best in its price range.

Have you ordered one yet?

Reaction score
Yes, have ordered one, it should come in tomorrow, or the day after...
Will find the time to try it out in the next couple of days/weeks and post my findings !

Reaction score
Be sure to determine what you really want/need from that board...

Keybed = Same 88-key weighted board as RD-88 or FP- series (that's good)

Tones = 1,018 with Supernatural piano and Zen-core sound engines (that's good)

Weight = 37 pounds

Speakers = No tweeter like on the RD-99 stage piano (downward facing as well)

But the "arranger" capabilities...........
While they are some fun at the start, they are very severely limited -- they don't "loop", and they will stop just as you get your groove going, and you can't sub any voices/tones or drum kits in what they chose for arrangements.

Old No7

Reaction score
Well, basically, all I want is kind of what the ES110 offers (check!) with some extra trimmings for fun (check!).

Nothing professional in mind, just for entertainment purposes. Speakers are more than fine for home use, and I mostly play with headphones anyway, and there are line outs if needed...

Ask a Question