Roland Juno DS 88 battery life?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a roland juno ds 88, and was especially keen for its battery operation option.

I've now tried it out and have only got really short times. First try one 8 freshly charged batteries I got 20 minutes, and the second time ( with a new batch of batteries and after I turned down all the displays and flashing lights) only 25 minutes.

This doesn't seem right to me, however now that I'm searching, I can't find an estimated battery power duration length listed anywhere.
Any knowledge or help on this very appreciated.
Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Roland recommends NiMH batteries for these units and claims 4 to 5 hours depending on usage.

https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.net/media/14/149374/download_149374.pdf

Power Supply

DC 9 V: AC adaptor or rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) (sold separately) x 8 * Battery life for continuous use (differs depending on the conditions of use) Rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries: approximately 5 hours (when using batteries having a capacity of 1900 mAh) (approximately 4 hours if USB flash drive is connected) * Carbon-zinc or alkaline batteries cannot be used

Current Draw

600 mA

Are you using the right type? Do you have a thumb drive plugged in? Also I'd be wondering if the lighted pads can be turned off? They must suck a lot of juice.

Also what is the capacity of the batteries that you are using? I have seen NiMH batteries ranging anywhere from 1200 mAh to 3000 mAh so maybe your batteries are low capacity type.

Incidentally, these specs are for the 61 key version. The 88 key version would probably have a shorter life.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
First try one 8 freshly charged batteries I got 20 minutes, and the second time ( with a new batch of batteries and after I turned down all the displays and flashing lights) only 25 minutes.
What kind of batteries are you using? If not rechargeable, I strongly recommend Alcaline batteries, they live much longer than other types.

Reaction score
There are Li Ion batteries now availble.

1.5 volt AA cell sized.

I have a couple of packs of these that I use in the WiU consol handsets and they last forever, not sure how they would fair in a keyboard.

The popular NiMh cells are only 1.2 volt hence will reach cut off voltage fairly quickly.

Downsize of the Li Ion cells is that they are expensive.

I use Duracells in my Kross 2 and they last hours.

Ask a Question