Roland RD-64 and software pianos

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forums.

Recently bought an RD-64 as a portable live rig and thought I might like the Supernatural sound. Turns out I don't like it much. Not sure if it's just the limited parameters and control in the 64 or what. I had played the 88 and seemed decent? Don't know maybe I just didn't sit with it long enough to hear the synthetic quality coming in. I do like the action a lot on the 64.

Question 1: has anyone ever disliked the Supernatural and then "dialed it in?" I've been messing with it about two weeks and I can't even get through my set without getting annoyed by the sound. The dynamics are ok, I can get velocity adjusted decently. I had a QS8 previously and actually prefer the grands on that unit quite a bit to this but the way the samples work you can't adjust velocity very well so its very hard to play lightly.

Question 2: I've now started to try the software instruments and have tried the iGrand. It's a little better in terms of realism but I feel like I'm having trouble with velocity here too. Once I max everything out it seems ok. I kinda hate the idea of lugging electronic extras and cords around live but the Supernatural just doesn't cut it for me at the moment. My question is are most people satisfied with what they can get from an iPad, or would a small laptop be better. I tend to be a quality/realism guy but I hate the extra gear complications.

Question 3: has anyone figured out the proper way to hook a hub to the RD64 and an iPad so it can be charging while performing? I can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks so much and sorry for the novel length.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience with different virtual pianos, but Pianoteq seems to be the one that most professional keyboardists prefer-- at least, the ones who post in keyboard forums and are vocal about virtual pianos seem to mention Pianoteq a lot-- but it isn't available for iPad.

I haven't yet used my old iPad 2 to play virtual pianos with my keyboards, so can't offer any opinions as to which ones are best. Kontakt seems to be the most popular alternative to Pianoteq-- at least, it got the most votes on the AlternativeTo web site-- but again, it isn't available for iPad.

So if you want the best virtual piano software it looks like you'll need to get a laptop, or perhaps a tablet running either Windows or Linux (not Android).

Ask a Question