Saving RD-88 volume settings for individual sounds

Reaction score
I'm gigging with my new-ish RD-88. I sit down and take great care to work through the different voices (not sure what Roland call them these days!) that I'm going to use for the evening - piano, clavi, organ etc... I set the volume levels using the little knobs marked 'level' (lower/upper1/upper2) for each one, and once I'm happy, move on the next 'voice'.

The trouble is, as soon as I go back to the voice that i thought I'd set correctly, it's gone back to some sort of default - whcih in some cases is deafening - and slightly embarrassing! (Clavi 76 springs to mind)

How can I get the volume levels to stay as I wanted them? The handbook, whcih seems to have been translated from the Japanese by a Hungarian into Polish and then into English by a Brazilian, is no help.

Reaction score
make the volume change for voice 1, then save the patch (program, whatever its called). ghen adjust voice #2 level and resave the patch, in other words save the patch every time you change each voices volume.

Reaction score
So, save them in the (hugely complicated) 'favourites' system, and only use those during performances?

I had sold my RD-88 to get a Fantom-08...

But I believe you can overwrite the system's saved "scene" with the "write" and "save" commands -- but I don't know if that saves the volume levels that you dialed in with the knobs. If I recall, one of the menu options when using the "write" command includes "scene edit", where you can adjust the volume and other parameters of that scene -- and I think volume can be adjusted by tone (lower, upper 1, upper 2) as well. Check it out.

Menu-diving isn't fun -- but if it saves just what you want, it's probably worth the effort.

Old No7

Reaction score
I set the volume levels using the little knobs marked 'level' (lower/upper1/upper2) for each one, and once I'm happy, move on the next 'voice'.

I believe the knobs on the RD-88 are expressly for adjusting parameters when playing "live" -- try what I mentioned above and reply here to confirm if that saves the preset volumes you want saved. As that will help others.

Old No7

Ask a Question