SDG (or sgd?) Yamaha psr620 keyboard

Reaction score
The files were created on the keyboard but now that player is totally broken so the songs are all on floppy s and how do I convert them back to just a midi fle ending?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Are these song files or style files? Are you sure about the extension? Google doesn't really bring up much. If they're style files I think you're SOL.

Gary

Reaction score
Are these song files or style files? Are you sure about the extension? Google doesn't really bring up much. If they're style files I think you're SOL.

Gary
Happy, you are unfamiliar with the PSR 620 I guess. That keyboard had a midi player attached beneath the keys but in addition to making MIDI files on a PC, one could create songs ON THE KEYBOARD to a floppy known as SDG That was the file ending NOT midi and isn't there anyone you know that ever owed a PSR 620? They would know what I am talking about.
And thanks for your concern, I do know you ae trying to help.
Diane

Reaction score
If you change the extension sdg to mid they should play. The recorder in the 620 is a midi-recorder (as in all older psr models). Yamaha has the intension to give the extension their own name but they are midi's.

Reaction score
If you change the extension sdg to mid they should play. The recorder in the 620 is a midi-recorder (as in all older psr models). Yamaha has the intension to give the extension their own name but they are midi's.
Now that I know how to do!
Try it later today!

Reaction score
You can also try to replace the floppydrive in the keyboard if you can find one. NOT all brands are compatible but ALPS, Mitsubishi and Toshiba (and a few other brands) are used in Yamaha keyboards. NEC did not work in one of my boards as it was not 100% compatible.

Reaction score
You can also try to replace the floppydrive in the keyboard if you can find one. NOT all brands are compatible but ALPS, Mitsubishi and Toshiba (and a few other brands) are used in Yamaha keyboards. NEC did not work in one of my boards as it was not 100% compatible.
Thanks Dick
I tried to,find ANY and no luck. I gave it to my daughter so all I have now are SGD files that will not play or able to,convert them to play on a PC so if they did then I Could save them as a midi file I guess. Do you know of anyone who HAS a PSR 620 or the model that came after that that had the midi disc recorder/player built into the keyboard? They would know how to convert them maybe?
Diane

Reaction score
Happyrat1 is right, (as he always is;)) even an old computer from a dump might have a floppydrive in it that will still go for some time if not years. There are PLENTY keyboards around still using the old floppies!

Reaction score
I've the same problem! Floppy disks with .sgd files to convert in Midi. Could somebody tell me if there is a software able to do that?
Thanx

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I know that the PSR-E433 and PSR-E443 save user song recordings as MIDI track data without a header, and when you convert a user song to SMF the keyboard creates the header. Also, some of the MIDI track data is "compressed" so to speak-- e.g., when you record yourself playing an auto accompaniment, only the "bass" notes you play in the accompaniment area are recorded, along with information such as which section of the accompaniment to use, rather than the actual music that the style plays in response-- and when you convert the recording to SMF the keyboard expands the "compressed" data.

I don't know anything about SGD files, but I imagine they may be somewhat similar to the user song data of the PSR-E433 and PSR-E443. If you'd like to email one of the SGD files to me, I'd be happy to look at it in a hex editor and see. I can try to convert any MIDI track data to a MIDI file, but I won't be able to expand any data that's "compressed." The resulting MIDI file might play correctly on the original keyboard, but there's no guarantee it would play as expected on a computer. To expand everything correctly, you'd need to convert the SGD file to SMF using the original keyboard-- and even then, it's likely that the voices used (as specified by the Bank Select and Program Change events) won't be limited to the GM1 or GM2 sound set, hence they may sound different on the computer.

Reaction score
Hi, I have the same problem, from my friend I received some music files which were recorded on Yamaha keyboard PSR 620. These files are with the suffix .sgd and they do not play back on PC. For view I wanted to add one such file, but the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. So for the interested person I can send an example by email (e-mail address removed).

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don’t know whether I can figure out the format and how to convert it, but I’ve sent you an email.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gianni65

Latest Threads