"shiny" flat and sharp keys on keyboard..

Reaction score
I use a Roland DS88 solely but this must apply to many devices:- I am struggling to play as accurately as I used to for a variety of reasons, but have decided recently that the above is one of them. I can be playing "with a bit of vigour" and a slip happens more often now and far less likely on a piano with ivories or matt keys. Just wondering who else has come to a similar conclusion, and what, if anything, did you do to rectify it. I don't want to do anything too drastic but it is starting to bug me.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have the same problem with slips.
There may be proper technique which eludes me because I was never taught . Or is just a matter of practise and repetition playing?

Thanks for starting this thread @Giocast
I look forward to some sensible responses for both of us.

Thanks
Ray

Reaction score
When I was young and playing packed clubs in ski resorts I would get bathed in sweat. Stage lighting back in the day was literally hot. I was having an issue slipping on the keyboard, and actually tried bowlers rosin on my finger tips :) It did not work. I did get a small fan though. One thing for sure - "a matter of practice and repetition playing" will help.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I think in my case it is not slipping off the keys with sweaty fingers. It is more a "slip up" not looking at the keys whilst playing, my fingers know where to go but sometimes mis judge the landing. Heading for a C for example, I could play a C and a B together . . DUH!
That could be anxiety playing or maybe using wrong technique.
Wearing gloves will not help me. More a hinder I reckon. As for the OP . . Could work for him.

Reaction score
1F19D300-9BB2-44B3-8F62-1F1494044020.jpeg

My playing came on a treat when I started wearing these!

Reaction score
Thanks for replies, hope there are more - I do remember some piano players of note wearing exceptionally fine gloves, cotton maybe? Might even give it a try. It was only when I watched a few reviews of the recently released Osmose (complete with "matt" keys) by Expressive E, that I started to think that I wasn't the only one, wondering why mine had to be so shiny..

Reaction score
I think in my case it is not slipping off the keys with sweaty fingers. It is more a "slip up" not looking at the keys whilst playing, my fingers know where to go but sometimes mis judge the landing. Heading for a C for example, I could play a C and a B together . . DUH!
That could be anxiety playing or maybe using wrong technique.
Wearing gloves will not help me. More a hinder I reckon. As for the OP . . Could work for him.
Thank you, because you've hit on a factor with me for certain, and a phrase I will now remember :- "anxiety playing". I've just gone and played the three pieces, first time for 3 days, partly because it's too cold but mainly out of frustration, and I didn't slip once.. The Americans say "Go figure" which sums things up in the fewest words.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks for replies, hope there are more - I do remember some piano players of note wearing exceptionally fine gloves, cotton maybe? Might even give it a try. It was only when I watched a few reviews of the recently released Osmose (complete with "matt" keys) by Expressive E, that I started to think that I wasn't the only one, wondering why mine had to be so shiny..
If grip is the problem, surgical gloves would be worth a try.

They cost around $10 for a box of 100, and the rubber has a lot of friction to grip the keys and will not allow sweat to pass thru.

They have a million other uses as well, from the workshop to the kitchen.

Every toolbox should have a box of these.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Could it be that there is a build up of oil and/grease on the keybed?

Do you use hand creams ie moisturiser?

Do you wash and dry your hands before playing the keyboard?
can't tell if you are serious or still taking the *%$$ at this point. ;) it's not a lack of moisturiser.

I just need matt keys next time it seems, plus get to recognise "anxiety play" mode - might look at what's out there, who knows, Roland might sell a different set even.

Most useful answer award goes to @Rayblewit - Thank you Ray.

Reaction score
As a beginner one of the things I've been taught is to shape my hands as if I were gripping a tennis ball. Fingers curl and thumbs curl arching over the keys. Starting from zero my first tendency was to play with my fingers straight out...quickly found that does not work. I hope this might help you. Play On!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
As a beginner one of the things I've been taught is to shape my hands as if I were gripping a tennis ball. Fingers curl and thumbs curl arching over the keys. Starting from zero my first tendency was to play with my fingers straight out...quickly found that does not work. I hope this might help you. Play On!

Like all rules, it has exceptions. Like if you are trying to span an octave.

Reaction score
last time I studied Elton John playing, on "Later" /Jools Holland, I was surprised by some of the short cuts he was taking, i.e. - some that didn't appear to be inline with what our piano teachers may have taught us, but overall it helped me to appreciate and understand that - if Elton can do it, then I certainly can. :cool:

Ask a Question