Tunning my Keyboard to E flat (Down 1/2 Step)

Reaction score
I'm new to electric keys and piano in general. I tune my guitars down 1/2 step. If standard tuning is 440hz, is tuning my keyboard down to 432hz going to tune me down, that same 1/2 step? Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is a hint: If your keyboard shows note A4 as 440 Hz, then lower that note to 415.305Hz. That will make the E one half step lower than standard tune.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Do read through your keyboards manual and physically look at the controls and through the menu system.

I am not meaning to be patronising but often if there are not djustment buttons obvious there is a tuning function burried in the menu.

On one of my kerboards there are two sets of two tuning buttons each with + and - under them, one set does an octave shift whilst the other a 1/2 step.

So it should be an easy and easily reversible action to retune and test play.

Out of curiosity can you explain how and why you tune your guitar down 1/2 step?

I can understand The Stones or Jimmy Page etc tunes but not 1/2 step

Reaction score
Welcome.

Do read through your keyboards manual and physically look at the controls and through the menu system.

I am not meaning to be patronising but often if there are not djustment buttons obvious there is a tuning function burried in the menu.

On one of my kerboards there are two sets of two tuning buttons each with + and - under them, one set does an octave shift whilst the other a 1/2 step.

So it should be an easy and easily reversible action to retune and test play.

Out of curiosity can you explain how and why you tune your guitar down 1/2 step?

I can understand The Stones or Jimmy Page etc tunes but not 1/2 step

The band tunes down for vocal reasons. Yes, My keys have the ability to change the hz, I just wasn't sure of the number.

Reaction score
Why do you want to tune down. Guitar it is done to so heavier strings can be used for fatter sound, but tuning down still easy to bend strings. Guitars respond different when tuned down less tension on the strings changes the timbre. Tuning a digital keyboard isn't going to do any of that by tuning down.

Now only reason that I can thing for doing it because guitar tuned down throws you in to keys that are a hassle. I band I used to hang out with back it the day had a great guitarist (later songwriter and record producer) who tuned if guitar to F up a half-step and if I remember right he also in a open tuning. Why he was self taught and just how he taught himself, no internet back then. The organist in the band was a buddy and asked him about playing since they did cover tunes as well as original. The organist said it was a pain being thrown into sharp/flat keys all the time. Oh the guitarist was Tony Peluso who was most famous for his one take solo on the Carpenter's song "Goodbye to Love".

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you want to quickly tune up or down a half step (semi-tone), most keyboards have a Transpose setting that lets you do that.

Basically, there are three levels of tuning:

- Up or down by a certain number of octaves.
- Up or down by a certain number of semi-tones ("coarse tuning" or transposing).
- Up or down by a certain number of Hertz ("fine tuning").

Generally there are separate buttons for shifting octaves versus transposing, but that can vary by keyboard; some have four buttons, two for octave shifts (up/down) and two for note shifts (up/down), while others may bury these settings in a function menu. Fine tuning is frequently a menu item.

Each level of tuning has limits, or how far up/down you can go. For instance, the fine tuning might be limited to a maximum of however many Hertz corresponds to 1 semi-tone, whereas the transpose might be limited to a maximum of plus/minus 12 semi-tones. So fine tuning the Hertz might work okay in this case, but generally speaking you'd be better off using transpose if you want to shift the pitch to a different note or key. Fine tuning is really more for tuning a given key ("Concert A") to a particular frequency for historical accuracy, or in countries where the preferred pitch of Concert A is something other than 440 Hz.

Reaction score
If you want to quickly tune up or down a half step (semi-tone), most keyboards have a Transpose setting that lets you do that.

Basically, there are three levels of tuning:

- Up or down by a certain number of octaves.
- Up or down by a certain number of semi-tones ("coarse tuning" or transposing).
- Up or down by a certain number of Hertz ("fine tuning").

Generally there are separate buttons for shifting octaves versus transposing, but that can vary by keyboard; some have four buttons, two for octave shifts (up/down) and two for note shifts (up/down), while others may bury these settings in a function menu. Fine tuning is frequently a menu item.

Each level of tuning has limits, or how far up/down you can go. For instance, the fine tuning might be limited to a maximum of however many Hertz corresponds to 1 semi-tone, whereas the transpose might be limited to a maximum of plus/minus 12 semi-tones. So fine tuning the Hertz might work okay in this case, but generally speaking you'd be better off using transpose if you want to shift the pitch to a different note or key. Fine tuning is really more for tuning a given key ("Concert A") to a particular frequency for historical accuracy, or in countries where the preferred pitch of Concert A is something other than 440 Hz.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Reaction score
If you read his 3rd post it is because the band tunes down for vocal reasons.

So you just play in the new key that what all other instruments will do. What are they going to do if they need to change the key of the song retune the instruments. The is why the Nashville Number chart system was created so when working with singers you can change keys easily. With a guitar player tuned down a half-step or whole step for guitarist in Drop D tuning, or some other tuning for them the song is in a different key. Just like people who play other transposing instruments like woodwinds or brass.

Ask a Question