Stereo sound from keys

Reaction score
When playing live, how many people use 2 lines out to the mixing board? I would think that it is very necessary to get that stereo sound from the keys. 2 lines out, 2 direct boxes, pan channels left and right? Is anyone doing this and does it work in all situations? One soundman said that stereo from keys can be tricky in some venues. Advice?

Reaction score
I don't think you need 2 direct boxes... can't you plug both into one DI and then use 2 XLR outs from the DI? As for it being tricky I'm not sure about that (not saying that it is or isn't tricky, I'm literally not sure). But yeah I go stereo. Plug the left and right outs into seperate channels on the mixer and pan the channels hard left and hard right.

Reaction score
can't you plug both into one DI and then use 2 XLR outs from the DI?

I don't think so - generally the two XLR outs are mono at different impedences. You can either use two DIs or get a stereo one (essentially two DIs in one box). Alternatively, some amps have a stereo line out that can go into the desk.

Normally I ask the sound guy nicely if I can use one of the stereo line channels on the desk, otherwise I just use two adjacent channels if stereo is vital to the show.

Ask a Question