The 'Do it all' keyboard

Reaction score
I hope you can help. I really love arranging and composing.

Where my interest really lies is in producing soundtracks, jingles, sometimes with numerous instruments, horns, strings etc.
I'm fascinated by TV theme songs. Family Guy (those horn stabs) etc.

I have time to invest now as I have retired from gigging (I was a guitarist for many years but can't play now due to arthritis I. My left hand), so I've sold a lot of gear and have a bit of spare cash.

The keyboard I buy would preferably be my piano as well. So a quality weighted piano keyboard is essential.

I've been considering a Korg Kronos 88. This seems to have all the bells and whistles.

My question is, is there an industry standard, something that most of the guys working in this field would use? I guess I'm looking for the "Keyboard Stratocaster."

Would the Korg do the job?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Harry

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Kronos 88 is a monster keyboard. No doubt about it. Then again, Kurzweil pretty much owns the Broadway Musical market.

I own a PC3K8 which is Kurzweil's flagship product and the more I study it the more I'm getting to love it. It's an incredibly deep synth with infinite programmability and excellent support and documentation.

Otherwise, either keyboard can be used as a master controller for any number of rack module synths so you could start off with a Kronos or a PC3K and add a Motif Rack or Integra 7 Module or Muse Receptor later on and make them sound like anything under the sun.

This pretty much applies to virtually any 88 Key controller out there so my advice would be to audition every 88 controller you can lay your hands on and find one that feels right and suits your budget and then build your studio with add on VSTi software and hardware modules.

Gary

Ask a Question