Tyros 5 versus GENOS

Reaction score
Hi I'm debating to get a $2000 used tyros5 or a $5000 Geno's how much difference is there between the 2 is it worth the extra $3000 I read up a lot about the 2 over & over the difference I see is that the Geno's can layer more instruments is there something that I missed also is the Geno's a bad keyboard cause I see a lot of them for sale but still asking $5000 for a used or brand new one thanks

Reaction score
The $5000 you quote for a Genos is more like a used model price, a new one is $6000

Add into your mix a Korg Pa4X, way cheaper are arguably better than a Genos

Reaction score
What's the latest update for the Pa4X? is there any talks of a new model... isn't the Pa4X nearly 7 years old now?

Reaction score
Yes Chris it is old.

That said two years ago they updated the OS and that seems to have privided a much improved system.

it was expected that a similar update would be forthcoming for the other Pa models but zilch.

Korg released/updated 7 synths and a few DP’s in the last 18 months but nothing on the arranger models.

Reaction score
I still think that the Korg is a FAR better deal than the Genos... I had the Genos for a short time and don't get me wrong it is impressive but I really think some of the sounds and the OS on the Korg are better and a lot cheaper!

I am surprised that Yamaha has not reduced the price of the Genos. I wonder what sales were like on it.

Reaction score
I would think sales are still high.

I firmly believe that many Yamaha Arranger owners upgrade within the brand.

My local Store is primarily Yamaha, Korg, Roland and Nord and according to the sales guy its the retired folk who are mainly Genos buyers.

Not that there is a lot of competition in the market, I can only think of three top end Arranger manufacturers and one of them practically has zero penetration in the UK.

Reaction score
I would think sales are still high.

I firmly believe that many Yamaha Arranger owners upgrade within the brand.

My local Store is primarily Yamaha, Korg, Roland and Nord and according to the sales guy its the retired folk who are mainly Genos buyers.

Not that there is a lot of competition in the market, I can only think of three top end Arranger manufacturers and one of them practically has zero penetration in the UK.

"My local Store is primarily Yamaha, Korg, Roland and Nord and according to the sales guy its the retired folk who are mainly Genos buyers."

It's funny you say that because you never see a Genos on stage or used in a professional capacity.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The fact is that outside of cruise ships and airport bars, you almost NEVER see an arranger in any sort of major stage production.

One of the reasons I generally stay away from them.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I agree with you Gary, and I must say that I dislike most rhythms on almost all of the arrangers I have heard. It just gets cheesy, can't seem to get away from a nursing home c1983 lol. Although I have been impressed with some when they have been customized.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It really all depends on what your current interest is in life.

Some people simply want to play at xmas for their grandkids or to pass the night away as a hobby, but for me sound design and electronic music is rapidly becoming an obsession.

Bit by bit my Sound Lab/Studio is taking over my apartment and my life.

I'm trying to recreate the environment at MIT and Cal Tech in the Music Departments of the 60's and seventies.

This is pretty much how people like Brian Eno and Alan Parsons started out.

I don't much care about fame and fortune. (pffft) Creating sounds never before experienced on this planet, however, is what drives me to explore ever deeper into authoring and production.

Mind you, I wouldn't say no if someone offered me a session gig. :D

I'd have to join the union though :D

Seriously, I still consider myself to be a perpetual student of this world. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I pulled the trigger two weeks ago on a Korg Prologue 8.

I was looking to pick up a Deepmind 12D from China but it seems their production has been zero since the pandemic and the waiting lists have become ridiculous, so I went with a Japanese Korg because the wait time was less than a month here.

This one's going into the living room which has grown into a fairly equipped studio already. :)

Gary ;)
\

Reaction score
Great stuff!... You talking about Brian Eno made me remember something. My hometown is London but I moved to the US about 7 years ago. I was always going into HMV to look at their new CD releases. I think this was back in 2004ish, I bought this wonderful CD. My dad was from Marrakesh Morocco and they had this CD that looked interesting. It was called "Marrakesh Cafe" I think. It was really cool chilled out Marrakesh music mixed with an amazing Brian Eno type evolving space-age sound. Loved the CD but lost it as I moved around a lot and I must have misplaced it.

I listened to a few things of yours on your YouTube channel. I really like your stuff!

The first time my sound-making curiosity was "peeked" was when a song came out called "Your Not Alone" by Olive in 1997. I was 18 and loved the song so much. I tried to recreate the synth/pad intro on my Yamaha Porasound PSS - 470.

I am sure you can tell how that went... 'Cough Cough'

That song just led me to a music memory bank in my head. U.S.U.R.A. - Open Your Mind... where did that come from lol. Crazy how your mind works I haven't thought of that song since "back in the day" lol

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
:D :D :D

Eno did some amazing stuff in the 70's and he's still all over the scene today. Every year or two it seems he has some new project to explore. I loved the stuff he did with Roxy Music back in the 70's. And another out of the box thinker, David Byrne is still performing these days. I can't wait for Peter Gabriel's next big tour if he hits Toronto I'll be there. :)

By 1987, I owned a used Yamaha DX-27S and had absolutely no idea how to even play a chord on the thing. My previous music exposure for 15 years was a Yamaha silver flute I'd bought when I was 19. :D

I really didn't start learning all my key signatures until I bought a Radio Shack rebranded Casio around the same time as you messed with that portasound :D :D :D

And THANKS A MILLION!!! for reviewing my work.

It's all really a work in progress. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi I'm debating to get a $2000 used tyros5 or a $5000 Geno's how much difference is there between the 2 is it worth the extra $3000 I read up a lot about the 2 over & over the difference I see is that the Geno's can layer more instruments is there something that I missed also is the Geno's a bad keyboard cause I see a lot of them for sale but still asking $5000 for a used or brand new one thanks
Hello,
I have a Yamaha Tyros 5 and a Korg Pa-X4 with the Next OS upgrade installed. When I sit down to play it is almost always the Korg. The keybed on the Korg feels better than the Yamaha and overall the Korg sounds better. One on the best advantages of the Korg is the ability to convert a Midi file to a Korg style and you can edit all sixteen tracks including intros and endings. The Korg also has a touch screen making it easier to use than the Yamaha.

Before buying the Korg I did a comparison of the Tyros5, Genos and Korg PaX4. The Genos was so much like the Tyros except the Genos has a touch screen. Korg was the winner in features and price. I paid $3,800 for the Korg that included the Korg speakers.
This was less than the trade up price to the Genos of $4,500.

Ed

Reaction score
The fact is that outside of cruise ships and airport bars, you almost NEVER see an arranger in any sort of major stage production.

One of the reasons I generally stay away from them.

Gary ;)
Not in the US but in Europe it ( the Genos) is used as a serious instrument , and used in some pro bands i know

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Yamaha Tyros 5 and a Korg Pa-X4 with the Next OS upgrade installed. When I sit down to play it is almost always the Korg. The keybed on the Korg feels better than the Yamaha and overall the Korg sounds better. One on the best advantages of the Korg is the ability to convert a Midi file to a Korg style and you can edit all sixteen tracks including intros and endings. The Korg also has a touch screen making it easier to use than the Yamaha.

Before buying the Korg I did a comparison of the Tyros5, Genos and Korg PaX4. The Genos was so much like the Tyros except the Genos has a touch screen. Korg was the winner in features and price. I paid $3,800 for the Korg that included the Korg speakers.
This was less than the trade up price to the Genos of $4,500.

Ed

A valuable piece of knowledge you have passed on there. When I had the Genos there were two things I noticed. The keybed to me was very unusual it had a weird overly springy feel to it. Also, and I have noticed this when I had the Montage too, the sounds are great but sterile... just not to my taste. Unless Korg brings out a PaX5 within 3 months which I very much doubt, I will be buying a PaX4 next!

Reaction score

Reaction score
I agree with you Gary, and I must say that I dislike most rhythms on almost all of the arrangers I have heard. It just gets cheesy, can't seem to get away from a nursing home c1983 lol. Although I have been impressed with some when they have been customized.
The reason you ont see them often on stages is cost. The sound engines on both the Kong and tyros are the same as motif, and the comparable hi endsynth. Arrangers are designed for solo performance as an all included synth, sequencer, digital multi track. Rhythm box, with high end processors.they are very common in Europe, for half the money you can get a hi end synth.

Reaction score
It's funny you say that because you never see a Genos on stage or used in a professional capacity.

Genos is designed primarily for "one man band" use. Professionally, on stage, a keyboard player is rarely a solo act. s/he's usually part of a group (outside solo acoustic piano stuff). Though in a more "semi-professional" environment, my understanding is that arrangers are quite popular in some other areas of the world, even though you don't see them used as often in the U.S.

Getting back to the OP's question, there's some good info at https://pianoandsynth.com/yamaha-tyros-comparison-tyros4-v-tyros3-v-tyros2/

Reaction score
Also dont forget the huge free sample software for the Genos , i payed a lot for it in the past and now it is for free!
Ther are so much settings possible , you can make it sounding very good , but also ruin the sound with it also .
But i have to agree that the most buyers are ( rich) older people who cant play a decent tune even with the arranger , but they have fun with it , for band playing i use my Nord 5D and that does the job fine , ( made some samples from the Genos for it)
I hope to see the Genos 2 soon after 4 years of using it a lot .

Ask a Question