Tyros 5 versus GENOS

Reaction score
The $5000 you quote for a Genos is more like a used model price, a new one is $6000

Add into your mix a Korg Pa4X, way cheaper are arguably better than a Genos
Price wise cheaper but Yamaha is user friendly live player instrument Some Tones in Korg is better than Yamaha some tones of Yamaha better than Korg Styles wise I Prefer Yamaha to also their customer service is great for any issues they always answer it and some times Korg applications cause unknown error for no reason in that case you may have to reboot to reset I have Korg electribe to play with Yamaha PSR s950 but for some times it does that my experience with Korg is more complicated to play with. You may have to spend some extra time .It's for Enginears not for live playing musicians I think

Reaction score
Price wise cheaper but Yamaha is user friendly live player instrument Some Tones in Korg is better than Yamaha some tones of Yamaha better than Korg Styles wise I Prefer Yamaha to also their customer service is great for any issues they always answer it and some times Korg applications cause unknown error for no reason in that case you may have to reboot to reset I have Korg electribe to play with Yamaha PSR s950 but for some times it does that my experience with Korg is more complicated to play with. You may have to spend some extra time .It's for Enginears not for live playing musicians I think
No necessarily so.

Yamaha has great piano sounds there rest, not so much and for me they sound shrill and harsh. Plus there has been a lot of adverse comments about the spongy feel of the keybed which the 4X just does not have.

Genos pricing is a con, it is £4200 here in the UK where a Korg Pa4X 76 is £2600.

Genos buyers imo in the majority are those who are indoctrinated into only buying Yamaha kit.

Nobody in their right mind would pay the very high cost of a Genos when you could buy a Korg Pa4X and a Korg Nautilus 61 for the same cash outlay.

Yamaha support is a Joke where Korg is not, but it does depend upon where you live, the Korg Arranger support is based in the EU where the whole of Korg’s Arranger design takes place.

Once the Korg OS is learned it is fast to create a custom Songbook entry, very easy to adjust individual sounds and a MIDI file can be imported to create a new Style.

Recording on a Korg is very simple and easy to modify, reports form Genos owners indicate that this is not the case.

Freebies, hundreds of free Korg Styles available as is custom Songbooks.

Learning, structured get you started video series and free webinars where there are some 25 hours of available tips, tricks and techniques available to learn should you so desire.

Korg Forum, have a problem ask a question, get a detailed response.

I’m biased, never ever would I spend my cash on a Yamaha Arranger.

Reaction score
Also dont forget the huge free sample software for the Genos , i payed a lot for it in the past and now it is for free!
Ther are so much settings possible , you can make it sounding very good , but also ruin the sound with it also .
But i have to agree that the most buyers are ( rich) older people who cant play a decent tune even with the arranger , but they have fun with it , for band playing i use my Nord 5D and that does the job fine , ( made some samples from the Genos for it)
I hope to see the Genos 2 soon after 4 years of using it a lot .

You do have a point regarding the free samples. When I had my Genos I never delved into the samples.

Reaction score
Hi I'm debating to get a $2000 used tyros5 or a $5000 Geno's how much difference is there between the 2 is it worth the extra $3000 I read up a lot about the 2 over & over the difference I see is that the Geno's can layer more instruments is there something that I missed also is the Geno's a bad keyboard cause I see a lot of them for sale but still asking $5000 for a used or brand new one thanks
I own a Genos. I don't think I would be happy with a Tyros 5 after owning a Genos. The rhythms and sounds are superb.
Upgrading from V1.1 to V2.2 added a ton of new features. It's like having a live orchestra backing you as you play.
It can do 4 part harmony with a different instrument on each note. (Excellent for Glenn Millers Sax/Clarinet section.
Check out the Genos demo at Bonners UK.
The Genos is suitable for most any type of music.
Dave Price :)

Ask a Question