Tyros Registration Changes Into The Sequencer

Reaction score
I've recently made the switch from my old Technics keyboard to a Tyros 3

One of the things I used to love on my old Technics was the Control Track. This allowed Registration Memory Changes to be programmed into the onboard sequencer. This meant no faffing with buttons and switches to change registrations during performance. It's not much of a problem to hit a foot switch (I've figured how to use a foot-switch to move through a sequence of registration memories) in a slow piece to change registration, but when playing something at 200 bpm and you want to switch registration for a brass-stab for a couple of of beats and then switch back to the original registration, it's impractical, messy and prone to screw-up. One wrong click on the pedal and the manual registration sequence is thrown into irreversible disarray.

Surely there must be some feature on the Tyros to add Registration Memory changes into the sequence to make playing with the sequencer smoother? A Technics keyboard/organ from 30 years ago had this feature and I can't believe a modern, much more advanced instrument, would not. Yamaha couldn't have overlooked the necessity for such a feature in 5 incarnations of the Tyros surely?

Reaction score
Welcome.

Love the name, if it relates to Wigan in Lancashire UK we are practically neighbours.

Itself the Tyros 3 is an old model with Tyros 5 being the latest one produced before the horrendously expensive Genos was released.

I have just had a quick look to see if there are any Tutorial Videos on the features but I could not see any obvious one.

If all else fails download the Manual and have a good read of it.

Reaction score
Thanks for that Biggles.

Yeah, have had a proper look through the manual. Nothing there but have read that the info is scant to say the least. Just hoping there's something somewhere that I'm missing that might be known about.

I've had a look through the online videos, on YouTube etc, but all that I can find is how to cycle through registration memories with a foot switch.

Nice to have a reply and hear from a local though, so thank you :)

Reaction score
A bit of a long shot but you could always give Rimmers or A&C Hamilton a call and ask one of their sales staff.

We have had a few Tyros related posts in the last few weeks so if you give it a while someone with such a keyboard may respond. You could always search the forum and PM them, we do have a lot of occasional members who visit on an ad hoc basis.

Additionally, there is probably Facebook Groups and the Yamaha PSR forum who cover the Tyros models.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The information would be in the Data List, I think, under the MIDI section. I'll have a look.

Models that support switching Registrations (on an arranger, or Performances on a synth) via MIDI messages will normally use specific Bank Select numbers and Program Change numbers for that.

I'm pretty sure the Tyros5 supported that, but off the top of my head I don't remember whether the Tyros3 did.

EDIT -- Eh, I can't find the information in the Data List, but I might not be searching for it correctly. I did find a thread elsewhere that says this could be done on the Tyros2 through the Tyros5, so it should be doable, but I'll have to look further to find out the specifics, because the information that I did find seems incomplete in that it looks like the very first example they give would normally call up the GM1 Acoustic Grand Piano Voice, so I must be reading it wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The information would be in the Data List, I think, under the MIDI section. I'll have a look.

Models that support switching Registrations (on an arranger, or Performances on a synth) via MIDI messages will normally use specific Bank Select numbers and Program Change numbers for that.

I'm pretty sure the Tyros5 supported that, but off the top of my head I don't remember whether the Tyros3 did.

EDIT -- Eh, I can't find the information in the Data List, but I might not be searching for it correctly. I did find a thread elsewhere that says this could be done on the Tyros2 through the Tyros5, so it should be doable, but I'll have to look further to find out the specifics, because the information that I did find seems incomplete in that it looks like the very first example they give would normally call up the GM1 Acoustic Grand Piano Voice, so I must be reading it wrong.
Thanks for that.

Sounds like it serious digging / backdoor route, so will have a look myself too.

The main brick wall when I came across when I tried going down the same lines seems to be the way the sequencer allocates tracks. Something recorded, for example, on track Right 1 doesn't then play to Track 1 upon playback. If I recorded a track to Right 1 and then changed the Right 1 voice during playback, that would not affect the sound being used.

Also, there isn't a way to assign a track to specifically serve the purpose of Bank / Program Changes to the "live"/"active" parts of the keyboard during playback as far as I can see. If it's there then it's hidden, but I'm determined to find it. An oversight on Yamaha's part I'd have to say on an otherwise amazing range of instruments, and would open up a great many creative / ease of play possibilities. As I said in the original post, the foot-pedal can be assigned to this function, but once a certain degree of intricacy is passed, it isn't really practical in live situations at speed.

Reaction score
On a simpler note, if it would be possible to record the clicks on the foot-pedal, which cycles through the programmed registration sequence, into the sequencer, then that would serve the same purpose. But I can't seem to find a way to do that either unfortunately.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I misunderstood what you're trying to do.

I thought you were trying to change registrations by sending MIDI messages to your Tyros3 from an external sequencer or app. You can do that, but I'm not certain about the details on how to do it.

Now I realize you want to record register changes using the internal sequencer so you can automatically change voices as you're playing along with your recording, or something like that.

Is that correct?

If so, I believe you can record voice changes and effects changes so they'll occur automatically as you're playing along with your recording; but I'm not sure of the details, nor do I know if you can record an entire registration change per se.

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, that's right. Still looking into it but like you say, I'm not sure it's possible. A real shame. The only solution might be to run a small, external sequencer reading an external clock from the Tyros doing nothing other than Registration changes or, probably simpler, auto-clicks to the foot pedal to cycle registrations. I know both Roland and Technics have (had) the feature accessible directly from their onboard sequencers, and it was really handy. Disappointing that Yamaha wouldn't have the same given how many players I knew of that made use of the feature in my earlier days. Bizarre and surprising that other users hadn't gotten on to them about it early in the Tyros range.

Thanks for all your help and will be sure to post to the forum when I've figured a workaround. Bound to be one, so I'll keep keep experimenting and digging.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
As I said, I know you can create automatic voice changes in a song recording, so one or more of the keyboard parts (R1, R2, R3, or L) will change their sounds as you're playing along to the recording, but I don't know the details of how to do that, only that it's possible.

But I've never heard of anyone recording an entire registration change within a song.

Ask a Question