Upgrade suggestions from Roland E09

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. Im an intermediate player using the Roland E09 which i want to upgrade from. I want a keyboard with good tones and not too expensive. I am prepared to go higher than the E09 price. Suggestions please.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
What do you want to do with your keyboard? Do you want to stay with another arranger, or do you want to drop the auto-accompaniment features. Do you need it to record? Are you playing classical piano music, which would probably require a bigger keyboard and weighted keys?

There are many keyboards that would be an upgrade from a Roland E09. But if we don't know what you want in a keyboard, we could recommend something that is not at all what you're looking for.

For example, I have two top notch keyboards. One of them, the Korg Kronos, is a great synthesizer. It is great at creating new sounds, and can be used to record and playback both sixteen tracks of MIDI as well as sixteen audio tracks. It has an 88 note weighted keyboard and a really good piano sound. It has NO auto-accompaniment features. The other one, the Yamaha Tyros, is a great arranger. It has great built in sounds, and a lot of buttons on the front to get to those sounds easily. It has great auto-accompaniment features, with huge numbers of additional styles available for download. It has a built in vocal harmonizer, and a microphone input (as opposed to a line input). It has a unweighted keyboard, that while big enough for almost all of the classical piano repertory, would not prepare you for actually playing it on a piano. On the other hand, the keyboard is much more usable for organ and synth stylings. It is horrible at creating new sounds.

Neither of the keyboards have built in speakers, although there are expansion speakers available for the Tyros (for just a little more money).

It could be argued that either of these keyboards would be an upgrade from the Roland E09 (although the cost may be prohibitive), but only one of them would probably meet your needs. What do you need in your next keyboard?

Reaction score
Hey Fred. Wow. The Kronos does sound amazing. I basically want an upgrade in terms of sound quality/tones. I barely use the accompaniment feature. I used the E09 for regular keyboard practise, which I would need a metronome certainly. Some good piano, electric piano and organ tones is all I am looking for. Budget under 500$. Thank you.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I'm amazed no one has stepped in and made suggestions for a performance synth with good sounds under $500. That's not an area that I know well, so I'm not going to make any suggestions. You also might want to look at the used market.

The Kronos is a bit beyond your budget right now. (In the future, who knows...)

Ask a Question