Need to upgrade my gigging keyboard... got some specifics i want

Reaction score
welcome advice as I shop to replace current live 'workhorse' with a new keyboard. currently use either Roland FP3 or Yamaha p80 (for years now).
I need to get it right on a couple key things, given what I cover/play re genre/gigs. (in order of importance... sort of..)
1. grand piano on-board. looking for better than avg, full, beautiful, expressive
2. b3 on-board. something better than usual on this, w couple to pick from, and good tonewheel control,
3. better-than-avg action -- wtd or semi-wtd, but my playing benefits from a more advanced, sturdy, quick, responsive action.
4. portable for gigs (over my shoulder in soft case I like)

thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Weighing in around 34 lbs. The Roland Juno DS88

As for decent organs you might want to add a Ferrorfish B4000+

Personally I use a DS61 with a Ferrofish for personal use at home.

Great sounding combo.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Weighing in around 34 lbs. The Roland Juno DS88

As for decent organs you might want to add a Ferrorfish B4000+

Personally I use a DS61 with a Ferrofish for personal use at home.

Great sounding combo.

Gary ;)

Thanks for the reply, both of these r new to me, but dig em both (piano seems uncommonly nice on juno. Thx

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Korg Kronos but it isn't light so I'd be very hesitant to put it in a gig bag to carry over my shoulder. I used a proper road case with wheels built in one end. It's also expensive but that may or may not be a concern. There are a ton of after market sounds for the Kronos. I tweaked my own piano sound to get what I wanted but a lot of people also buy sounds. I bought B3 sounds from a company called Organimation by K Sounds. To me the Hammond emulations are amazing. I use the onboard Leslie sim but the most popular option seems to be the Neo Ventilator pedal. I might not be that fussy perhaps but I use this keyboard for both live and in the studio and everyone who hears it, raves about it.

Reaction score
Hi Phineasnewbie, have you looked at the Nord Electro 5 at all? It comes in 61, 73 keys( both with sliders for organ) and the HP version with button sliders. Great features and sounds and the listen to this video.....

Just another choice.

Reaction score
In my experience, #3 and #4 are mutually exclusive. Weighted/Semi-Weighted requires bulk, which doesn't lend itself to portability. The Fatar TP100LR on my Arturia Keylab88 gets the weight down to 28lbs, but that's pretty much the lightest I've ever seen from a weighted board. I wouldn't mind a 76key board if it was weighted, but there are very few of those. I just learn to deal with it. I've got a nice soft case with a strap and can heft it over my shoulder.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Casio Privia PX-5S weighs in about 24 or 25 lbs.

I think they're the record holders.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Good board too, for a simple electric grand. All the Privia PX keyboards seem to weigh about the same... and it's surprising since they also include speakers and weigh less than all boards without. I wonder how they get around this? Some newer "weighted" technologies include using very precise springs instead of weights. I know the VAX77 did this and got it's weight extremely low and was praised for having some of the most realistic action. Unfortunately, and surprisingly, it was a commercial failure, which made no sense: a folding weighted keyboard controller with ridiculously good action that could fit into its own carryon suitcase?!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually the PX-5S is a pretty remarkable keyboard all around. Not only a weighted hammer action stage piano but also a Hex Layer Synth and 4 zone controller that's held up well over the past 5 years since it's introduction. No speakers built into that particular model though.

The newer PX-360 and PX-560 were designed to complement rather than replace the The 5S model.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
How about a Yamaha S70XS 76 hammer weighted , lighter than the 88 keys version and lots of motif sounds, arps etc. and only 20.4 kg or 22.4 kg for the 88 key version.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
20.4 kg ~= 46 LBS!!!

Practically double the weight of a PX-5S!!!

Hardly what I'd call "lightweight."

Gary ;)

Ask a Question