Use of PC and Keyboard to learn to play

Reaction score
Dear All

I started learning to play a keyboard last December using my daughter’s 10 year old Casio CTK-520L . I am aware that there are ways of using a pc to help new learners. I believe that with the correct setup, one can use the pc to display the song sheet on the screen and pc would then interact with the Piano/Keyboard via midi or usb to check that the learner has played the note and then move the cursor to the next note and so on.

My first question is whether this is true or not.......

And if true then what combination of software and hardware do i need to assemble to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance for any contributions

Al

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Dear All

I started learning to play a keyboard last December using my daughter’s 10 year old Casio CTK-520L . I am aware that there are ways of using a pc to help new learners. I believe that with the correct setup, one can use the pc to display the song sheet on the screen and pc would then interact with the Piano/Keyboard via midi or usb to check that the learner has played the note and then move the cursor to the next note and so on.

My first question is whether this is true or not.......

And if true then what combination of software and hardware do i need to assemble to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance for any contributions

Al

There's an excellent open source (Free as in beer) software for this that I use.

It's name is Pianobooster and it comes in Windows, Mac and Linux Flavors.

Just load up a MIDI file and play any part while following the notation on the screen.

Here's the homepage url for it: http://pianobooster.sourceforge.net/

Enjoy,

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Gary for the link. Nice program and it can be very helpful for piano/keyboard starters and to learn music reading in a fun way.

You're very welcome Dick. That's the wonderful thing about the internet that makes it easy to share resources which none of us could have dreamed of 30 years ago.

I agree it's a wonderful tool for teaching beginners and intermediates to sight read.

Gary...

Ask a Question