55+? What was the first popular song you learned to play on the keyboard?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
59 here.

I take it that the children's songs and old folk tunes that are usually taught to young children learning to play the piano (e.g., "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star") don't count?

One of the first popular hits that I tried to learn was "Roundabout" by Yes. I also had a couple of songbooks of The Who's music, and tried to learn to play "Overture" and "Underture" from Tommy.

Reaction score
59 here.

I take it that the children's songs and old folk tunes that are usually taught to young children learning to play the piano (e.g., "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star") don't count?

One of the first popular hits that I tried to learn was "Roundabout" by Yes. I also had a couple of songbooks of The Who's music, and tried to learn to play "Overture" and "Underture" from Tommy.
I see that golden oldies for my generation has an entirely different meaning than yours. I like Cole Porter or Irving Berlin and the 1920's to 1960 's songs. I just realized that some of the shoes I own are older than the Who's music.
Now I really feel old, I should ask that question of your parents, or grandparents?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Some people believe that your personality can be explained by which song was Number One on the day you were born. (Okay, I might have made that up-- but it sounds like it could be true.)

On the day I was born, the Number One song in the USA was "The Chipmunk Song," which completely proves the accuracy of this theory. :)

http://thisdayinmusic.com/birthdayno1

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They didn't have a Canadian chart for the year I was born but my life's theme song was "Another Saturday Night" on the night I turned 18.

At least according to the website :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have enough of those original sheets to make an interesting collage for a wall. I'm hoping my grandkids will develop an interest in what I've collected so it won't go to waste when I go to the big beauty shop in the sky.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When I'm ready for my dirt nap I'm looking forward to all the fantastic concerts by all of the brilliant musicians we've lost in the past few decades :(

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Telstar.

Its different everytime I play it .............. one day I will get it right.
:rolleyes:
Oddly enough, I was playing something completely different and a friend thought of Telstar; I couldn't remember a lick --- hey that was the early 60s that I last accompanied it on bass when; you needed a guy with a big twangy guitar with a flush handle to play it. I had to google it on youtube in order to figure it out on a keyboard. I seem to recall a rumor that they produced some effects by miking a flush toilet.

Reaction score
Some people believe that your personality can be explained by which song was Number One on the day you were born. (Okay, I might have made that up-- but it sounds like it could be true.)

On the day I was born, the Number One song in the USA was "The Chipmunk Song," which completely proves the accuracy of this theory. :)

http://thisdayinmusic.com/birthdayno1
My dad bought my mom a record player that plugged into the radio as an xmas present. It came with a couple of complementary discs: one was the Chipmunks on one side and the David Rose Orchestra "That's Almost Good!" on the other side. I guess my birthday tune would be "Heartaches" --- had to look it up but now I remember it (yeesh!).

Reaction score
Outside of music lessons where the first part of the "Little Suite" was the typical first actual piece learned unless one counts "Are You Sleeping?" the beginner song was "Heart and Soul". My first money makers on keyboard were "House of the Rising Sun". "Gloria". "Can I Get a Witness" ... and "Stranger on the Shore" under duress as a friend played clarinet.

Ask a Question