Very basic question: NektarGX49...how can I get sounds?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a drummer with some keyboard playing experience. I want to be able to perform playing basic chords with my left hand while playing the beat with my right.

I purchased a Nektar GX49 MIDI controller due to the smaller size and it comes with BitWig software.

Other than the best answer (buy a different keyboard that does what I want), I am trying to figure out how to get the sounds I need. Things like different synth sounds and organs. Not so much pianos.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
You will need a Laptop and follow Scott’s link in prior post.

I you do not want the hastle of a Laptop installation then sell or return the Nektar and buy a keyboard with onboard sounds.

Korg Kross 2, Roland Juno DS, Yamaha MX are some but you will still need an amp or powered speakers.

All depends upon how and where you want to perform.

Supply more info for better advice

Reaction score
You will need a Laptop and follow Scott’s link in prior post.

I you do not want the hastle of a Laptop installation then sell or return the Nektar and buy a keyboard with onboard sounds.

Korg Kross 2, Roland Juno DS, Yamaha MX are some but you will still need an amp or powered speakers.

All depends upon how and where you want to perform.

Supply more info for better advice
We are an acoustic guitar and drum (electronic) duo, both sing, and we use a Bose Pro system with dual sub woofers. We perform at small local establishments, usually taverns. Sometimes space is limited. We use a powered Beringer speaker as a monitor.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Or a cheaper solution...

You can actually plug a DIN MIDI controller into either of these and play them on the fly with your keyboard hand.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The volca is not polytonic, but the TB-3 can handle chords just fine.

I'm thinking use a small synth as a module.

Or he could sell off the Necktar and pick up a Novation Bass Station or similar polysynth.

I doubt he needs any more gear than that.

Like he said, they're a duo playing small venues.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's either that or schlep along an ipad at twice the price.

My advice is return the Nektar and cancel the Bitwig.

Sometimes "FREE" costs twice as much. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Here is what I am targeting. Since the acoustic is the only melodic intrument, the keys will fill the sound.

And this

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think a Novation Bass Station or MiniNova is all that he needs.

Either can be bought for less than $400 used these days.

Minus what he gets selling off the Necktar.

Don't forget he needs the proper Lightning adaptor and proper audio outs for iAnything which also ain't cheap.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Bass Station again is monophonic, not for playing chords.

I think the first thing to get past is whether he's fine using a laptop (or i-device), or if he wants the sounds to be in the keyboard.

Another consideration is how he will call up different patches if the sounds are on an external device. The choice is to call them up on that device, or to get a controller that has definable patch select buttons.

Another variable is, are full size keys important?

Another is, is there any need for other controls besides keys on the keyboard (pitch/mod controls, trigger pads)?

The Nektar GX may be fine. Or it may not be. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are two mininovas for sale in the Toronto area. One is $425 CDN and the other is $450 CDN.

Mininova can handle the job. Mini keys aren't a dealbreaker for everyone. You adapt pretty quickly.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
Bass Station again is monophonic, not for playing chords.

I think the first thing to get past is whether he's fine using a laptop (or i-device), or if he wants the sounds to be in the keyboard.

Another consideration is how he will call up different patches if the sounds are on an external device. The choice is to call them up on that device, or to get a controller that has definable patch select buttons.

Another variable is, are full size keys important?

Another is, is there any need for other controls besides keys on the keyboard (pitch/mod controls, trigger pads)?

The Nektar GX may be fine. Or it may not be. :)

I am cool with getting a laptop. The Nektar size is just a bit more than I hoped for but it will do. I just need to rearrange some items.
Key size is not important. I won't be bending notes either. Since I am also playing drums at the same time, I don't think I will need triggers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your learning curve is going to be steep dude dealing with latency and connectivity issues and what happens if the laptop crashes during a performance?

"Cheap, sounds good, reliable........ Pick 2...."

Reaction score
Your learning curve is going to be steep dude dealing with latency and connectivity issues and what happens if the laptop crashes during a performance?

"Cheap, sounds good, reliable........ Pick 2...."
Good point. Shit can happen, and it usually does.

Ask a Question