Waldorf Blofeld encoder issues

A

Anon_TJ

Hi All,

Just wondering, does anyone out there have a Blofeld with encoder issues? One of my encoders is getting stuck, but it's intermittent, sometimes it works, sometimes it just gets stuck. I'm going to return it to Thomann, which seems to be a reliable supplier. Pity, since the Blofeld is a really powerful synth. Why they can't resolve their encoder issues is beyond me. It must cost them tons to resolve it. I think I'll replace it with a Roland D 05 boutique, which is about the same price. Any thoughts on the D 05? I'm a fan of the 80s synth sounds.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own a Blofeld Desktop Module as well as a Studiologic Sledge.

The issue with Blofeld encoders is pretty well documented across the web and there are fixes out there. Personally I don't have too many issues with mine because I control all my parameters remotely from my DAW.

If you wish to keep the wavetable functions of the Blofeld I'd suggest picking up a Sledge instead of a Roland Boutique when you return the Blofeld for exchange.

I think you'd be very happy with the results.

Gary ;)

A

Anon_TJ

I own a Blofeld Desktop Module as well as a Studiologic Sledge.

The issue with Blofeld encoders is pretty well documented across the web and there are fixes out there. Personally I don't have too many issues with mine because I control all my parameters remotely from my DAW.

If you wish to keep the wavetable functions of the Blofeld I'd suggest picking up a Sledge instead of a Roland Boutique when you return the Blofeld for exchange.

I think you'd be very happy with the results.

Gary ;)
Thanks Gary, but I really think a good company would have resolved these issues by now. They've had these issues for years. I don't want the hassle of returning it, then getting a new one, with the same encoder problems. Fundamental flaw in their hardware, no other way to put it. Thanks for the input though. Leaning more and more towards software.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The sledge is designed by Waldorf, but built and sold by Studiologic.

There's no resemblance between the Sledge's many knobs and the Blofeld's controllers at all.

In fact, the sledge offers much more hands on control with very little menu diving.

Read a few user reviews. Main complaints about the sledge centre around the primitive software support rather than the quality of the hardware itself. I expect the software issues to resolve themselves in years to come as more and more hackers approach the problem of releasing a decent sound editor program for it eventually.

I've owned a Roland JD-Xi in the past and I have to say beware of cost cutting compromises in their boutique designs that may not be readily apparent.

The JD-Xi for instance, was unable to assign any MIDI channels to song and voice parts other than those hardwired into the synth and could not save an individual patch without saving all four parts including drum sequences into a performance.

The inability to tweak and randomly assign channels proved too much for me to put up with and I ended up selling it off a year later for a Novation Ultranova instead.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And two things to remember about using virtual software instruments.

1) They have zero resale value as their licenses are never transferable.

2) They only keep on working as long as the OS you are running supports them. What happens to this year's latest and greatest once windows 2020 comes out?

Gary ;)

A

Anon_TJ

And two things to remember about using virtual software instruments.

1) They have zero resale value as their licenses are never transferable.

2) They only keep on working as long as the OS you are running supports them. What happens to this year's latest and greatest once windows 2020 comes out?

Gary ;)

Thanks Gary, your expertise is really amazing. I have NI Ultimate, and Arturia 5, among others. They are life-time contracts, so the operating system doesn't matter, as far as I know. I have an old Yamaha DX21, which is a cut down version of the DX7, and I love the deep, dirty sounds it makes, but these synths of around 30 years old, who knows when they will break down, and how much it would cost to repair them. Hence my interest in soft synths. My best buy this year was the Korg M1 VST. I really recommend it, in fact prefer it to all my other VSTs....get it if you can.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Cakewalk started selling off "lifetime upgrades" as well about a year ago.

Last month the company announced it was closing its doors after 30 years in business and that all future development was terminated.

6 months from now Gibson will probably sell off their IP to another company and they'll reopen their doors with a "New and Improved DAW." But they won't be honoring those thousand dollar "lifetime licenses" ever again.

That's how it plays out in the tech industry. If it seems too good to be true you have to ask yourself, "What's the catch?"

Gary ;)

Ask a Question