Wanted: Keith Emerson keyboard sounds & transcriptions

Reaction score
I am a keyboard player and want to acquire authentic keyboard sounds to specific songs on the following specific albums: Pictures at an Exhibition; Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Trilogy; Tarkus; and Brain Salad Surgery.

I am also interested in accurate keyboard transcriptions for these same albums.

I have the black book (ELP), Tarkus, and the Anthology (?) published for Keith Emerson.

I would specifically like accurate keyboard transcriptions for the improvisation sections of "Take A Pebble" and "Trilogy", and the last section of "Benny the Bouncer" which is played differently that written in Keith's publication.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Reaction score
As I'm sure you've realised, ELP sheet music is a pain. There is (or at least has been!) however a very good MIDI community for ELP, most of which can be found here: http://home.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi/elp.html If you've got the software like Sibelius or Finale to extract them, with a little patience you should be able to get some kind of working score out of them.

Sounds are a bit trickier. What gear are you using?

Reaction score
Keyboards to play Keith Emerson songs

I have a Kurzweil K2600XS. I'm considering getting a Mac Powerbook and Digital Performer, but have not read up on the alternatives. This is my first request for help on any forum. I'll check out Keith Emerson's website next.

Other influences: Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull...

I also have a Roland Session TD10 that I'm considering upgrading.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
That Kurzweil should be perfect - the VAST engine is really good at the vintage sounds. I'm certain that someone will have recreated Keith's sounds somewhere for it, and if not, they shouldn't be too hard to recreate.

Keith's website won't be much help as it's very rarely updated, and Keith/his management are a bit funny about sheet music. All they're really interested in are the sheets for the Piano Concerto; they ignore the various ELP books and take a dim view of everything else, particularly MIDI files. Despite this, many of the out-of-print ELP piano books circulate on the internet, but their legality is largely dependent on where you live.

I've been doing (varying quality) transcriptions in my spare time for a while now. I'm working on 'Take A Pebble' at the moment, and would be happy to let you have a copy, whenever it gets finished.

Reaction score
hi just negotiated to this site while looking for ELP transcriptions/sheet music

That Kurzweil should be perfect - the VAST engine is really good at the vintage sounds. I'm certain that someone will have recreated Keith's sounds somewhere for it, and if not, they shouldn't be too hard to recreate.

Keith's website won't be much help as it's very rarely updated, and Keith/his management are a bit funny about sheet music. All they're really interested in are the sheets for the Piano Concerto; they ignore the various ELP books and take a dim view of everything else, particularly MIDI files. Despite this, many of the out-of-print ELP piano books circulate on the internet, but their legality is largely dependent on where you live.

I've been doing (varying quality) transcriptions in my spare time for a while now. I'm working on 'Take A Pebble' at the moment, and would be happy to let you have a copy, whenever it gets finished.

Hi, Would u share your Take a Pebble Excerpts transcription of the piano improvisations if you have them and/or Tiger in the Spotlight/Still you turn me on Hoedown or Honkytonk Train Blues.I live in New Zealand kinda need to learn this stuff in a hurry for final study year performances.

Ask a Question