What are the advantages of the Go-Keys 5 over the original?

Reaction score
Maybe I should buy the 5???
Did they add a good hammond sound?
can you run drum beats alone so you can play with them?
(I always though it was a little flaky the way they divided the keyboard into 4 parts)

:)
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
First what is the competition?

Yamaha PSR E473 @ £350
Casio CT X5000 @ £340
Korg EK50 @ £300

The Go Keys 5 is £440

Q1 who knows
Q2 not likely at this price point
Q3 yes, p28 of the manual shows how

keyboard can be split into two parts, where the split occurs can be changed.

A neat feature is the Chord Sequencer.

Suggest downloading and reading the manual.

Reaction score
I strongly encourage you to download and review the manuals. GO:KEYS 5 is much more capable than the original (which was basically a toy for the musically curious, IMO.) The biggest omission is the lack of a "Sync Stop" which suspends the programmed accompaniment when you release the keys.

However, in the low end of the market, I really recommmend the Casio CT-S500. The low-end Yamahas don't even recognize "slash" chords. The Korg EK50 has great sounds, but the Casio has more flexible chord recognition, making it easier for a novice to play a wide variety of songs and "grow into" more complex chords as time and practice allow. The OS and key feel are also improved over the CT-X series. Read the manuals, then go to a local music store and check it out!

Reaction score
Thank you! I have two CASIOs now, the WK3800 (Yes, an oldie) and the WK7500. I love them both.

The reason I moved to the GO:KEYS was its portability . . .

I could play anywhere on battery power. So I could tailgate with the guitar, harp and fiddle guys without having a power source. . . and the speakers usually work pretty well tailgating with acoustical instruments. So : Battery power is a big deal to me.

OH NO CASIO : I've used CASIOS since a long, long time ago -- but they have a stigma attached. Korg, Nord, Rolland, Hammond etc all have cred with other musicians but not the CASIO. I've had people come up to me at gigs questioning the CASIO as a "toy" ... I've had musicians comment "Oh, you use a CASIO???"

I've even often considered of stickering over the CASIO and putting on a Hammond label --- but never did.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would hope that people judge you for your skill and the overall sound. Yes some Casio samples are still cheesy but a lot of them have improved greatly in the last 10 years.

Also, pretty much any entry level keyboard and some mid-range models like the Roland E-A7 can be run from a laptop "power bank," i.e., a rechargeable Li-ion battery pack. As long as the keyboard is expecting low-voltage DC and current draw is 1.5 amps or less, you could attach the power bank to the back with a little velcro. Lighter than alkaline batteries of equivalent power and it would even cover up the word "Casio" :)

Obviously, you need to make sure the power bank is charged and avoid saving styles or editing registrations at the time it browns out or it may crash your board. I'm pretty sure using anything other than the factory adapter will void your warranty. I'm also pretty sure that it would work. DC is DC, as long as you get the voltage and polarity correct!

Reaction score
Thank you! I have two CASIOs now, the WK3800 (Yes, an oldie) and the WK7500. I love them both.

The reason I moved to the GO:KEYS was its portability . . .

I could play anywhere on battery power. So I could tailgate with the guitar, harp and fiddle guys without having a power source. . . and the speakers usually work pretty well tailgating with acoustical instruments. So : Battery power is a big deal to me.
The Casio to look at as a GO alternative would be the CT-S500. Each has some advantages over the other. In terms of your priority of portability/tailgating, the Casio has one possible advantage... it has pegs for a guitar strap, so you could play it "keytar" style... meaning you don't need to have a stand for it, or find a surface to put it on, if you don't want it on your lap.

Ask a Question