What do keyboardist play ?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have always wanted to ask this question for a long time as I couldn't find any answers online.

As you all know, most bands, if not all, have a keyboardist. Each time I go to a band and see them playing, I do not exactly know what the keyboardist is playing. Even certain times, I could not even "HEAR" the keyboardist part even though I can see the keyboardist playing the keys.

I would like to know exactly what keyboardist play in a band and how do they play to accompany the singers. I do not usually see them refer to scores or whatsoever, at most, if there is a song that they are not familiar with, they just refer to the chord progression of the song.

Hence, I would like to understand the following:

1) What do the keyboardist play in a band ? (I know for sure they do not play the melody as the melody is being sung by the singer). Do they play chords ? If so, what kind of chords?

2) Why do I see most keyboardist in a band having 2 keyboards (usually one above and one below) ?

3) I see certain bands in which do not have a drummer and they use the drums from the keyboard. Are they actually using the *ACMP* mode on the keyboard? Or are they just purely playing the drum beats from the keyboard?

4) What is the difference between an arranger and workstation ? And which of these do keyboardist in a band usually use ?

5) I usually go to www.ultimate-guitar.com to search for chords and just play the chords. Hence, I would like to know WHAT exactly should I learn in order to improve myself and play like what a band's keyboardist is playing to accompany singers ?

I thank all of you in advance for answering these questions that have been trapped within me for many years.

P.S: In the link is a sample of me trying to play I Will Survive using the *acmp* mode on my digital piano with a few mistakes. Do let me know how you think about it. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

With Regards,
Nycky

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Nycky.

Maybe go to a live gig and have a chat with the keyboard player. Offer a beer or two if they'll give you a quick run down on their gear and what they do.

It'll be less typing for you, more fun and maybe you'll make a new friend.

The Y_man

Reaction score
P.S: In the link is a sample of me trying to play I Will Survive using the *acmp* mode on my digital piano with a few mistakes. Do let me know how you think about it. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

With Regards,
Nycky

You play better than me :p

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have always wanted to ask this question for a long time as I couldn't find any answers online.

As you all know, most bands, if not all, have a keyboardist. Each time I go to a band and see them playing, I do not exactly know what the keyboardist is playing. Even certain times, I could not even "HEAR" the keyboardist part even though I can see the keyboardist playing the keys.

Hey well.... sometimes you've got to look like you're doing something even if the volume is set to ZERO :eek::D

I would like to know exactly what keyboardist play in a band and how do they play to accompany the singers. I do not usually see them refer to scores or whatsoever, at most, if there is a song that they are not familiar with, they just refer to the chord progression of the song.

When we did gigs, it was mainly chords on the keyboard or some improvised bits - so no need for a score, but chord charts can be important unless you kow the song off by heart. Same as any rhythm guitarist (BTW - you might not see the bits of paper lying on the stage floor!)

Hence, I would like to understand the following:

1) What do the keyboardist play in a band ? (I know for sure they do not play the melody as the melody is being sung by the singer). Do they play chords ? If so, what kind of chords?

We usually had chords and bass lines (didn't have a bass player)

2) Why do I see most keyboardist in a band having 2 keyboards (usually one above and one below) ?

It looks more impressive to the crowd :D

You can't be stuffing around trying to find your right preset patches etc on stage during a piece - much easier to go to different boards. Also, each keyboard has it's strong points and the players "favourite sounds" - eg one board might have great string sounds but crap organ sounds, another might have OK piano, great organ and crap strings etc.

3) I see certain bands in which do not have a drummer and they use the drums from the keyboard. Are they actually using the *ACMP* mode on the keyboard? Or are they just purely playing the drum beats from the keyboard?

Probably. Back in my days, we used "drum machines" :eek:

4) What is the difference between an arranger and workstation ? And which of these do keyboardist in a band usually use ?

No difference from what I know.....

A die hard keyboardist would use a pure synth, not them modern arranger things! (shows you my age)

5) I usually go to www.ultimate-guitar.com to search for chords and just play the chords. Hence, I would like to know WHAT exactly should I learn in order to improve myself and play like what a band's keyboardist is playing to accompany singers ?

It's really up to the band.

To be really flexible - be able to arrange your own accompaniment - eg in a band situation, you are the accompaniment - so for starters, split your keyboard, play bass with your LH, and and chords with your RH

The Y-man

Reaction score
alright ! great guys. thanks for all the replies.

i guess i found out what i'm looking for. i'll have to improve on my comping.

cheers
nycky

Ask a Question