What to Choose

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I am a self-taught (you might know what it's like), and I have recently moved and had to leave my grand behind. I am attempting to find a new piano, but I live in a tiny apartment where there isn't room for anything except digital portables. I would love to hear some advice on the two choices I'm viewing. P515, and DGX 670. I want good piano (which both of these have) but also some editing stuff. Does anybody have any ideas?

Reaction score
Like Gary did, I'd suggest you widen the search to include other options like the FP-60X or RD-88 from Roland.

But above all else...

Get to a music store -- or several if it takes that effort -- and try them out in person.

What feels and sounds great "to me", may be "just OK" to you or others, and vice versa. There would only be "1 brand" if we all agreed on what is best.

I know that the Sam Ash store in NYC or Sweetwater in the middle of the country would be "1-stop-shops" to try well over a dozen options.

Old No7

Reaction score
The two Yamaha’s that you quote have different hammer actions.

The DGX 670 has the GHS action that is in quite a lot of the lower cost (sub $1000) DP’s and I had a P125 for a while but personally I did find that this action was second to the Roland equivalent action. I only chose the Yamaha because of the manner in which sounds were selected. The DGX is a DP with Arranger features and if this feature is one you desire then that limits ones choice.

Editing? There is all kinds, can you be more soecific?

Hence as advised, go out and play as many DP’s as you can.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The guy hasn't bothered to respond yet, but I based my choices on the fact he said it was replacing a grand piano.

If anything matters to this guy at all it will be the playability of the keybed.

The models he mentioned are student or beginner models.

He should at least look at stage pianos for a professional feel.

Actually he might be happy with one of these.

He also didn't mention what part of the world he's in and what's available to him.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The P515 is showing as discontinued.

As he is coming from a Grand then a DP that a certain member here has/had/returned (strike out what you think appropriate) then a Kawai MP 11 SE could be nearest to his requirements even if he does not know exactly what he wants.

As space does seem to be at a premium as you suggest Gary, the Numa GT would also fit the bill especially as it is 5” narrower than a DGX which in itself is massive.

Reaction score
The Yamaha P-525 is the replacement for the 515. It shows up in the Sweetwater website, and other places.

Ask a Question